Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Remove diode from aixiz housing without damage

Zom-B

I had the same problems. I don't have a radio antenna or lathe, or one of those other nice tubes I saw pictured here lying around.

I made my one from an old 9V battery. I cutted a square piece of the side of the metal case and rolled it onto a 3mm screwdriver until it kept it's round shape. It works great.

HPIM4547_small.jpg

Hpim4557_small.jpg

Speaking of stuff lying around, Here's a diode press I made that works far better than the back of an Aixiz. The lens ring on the bottom is what I used before. It presses the diode exactly flush with the back of the head but that still creates air gaps. I soldered a smaller ring onto it that I found lying around and with that I can press the diode in even further, all the way to the bottom of the hole.

Hpim4549_small.jpg

Hpim4552_small.jpg

After pressing "the old way": (There is actually a lot more light leaking than this photo suggests)
Hpim4560_small.jpg

This is great! I had to use a hammer and punch out the abused LD out; completely destroying it.

I had no choice as it was very, very stubborn and would not bulge at all with any other methods I tried.

What is the actual size of the tool you used? Other diameter, inner diameter, etc. ?

Krutz

here is the size of my, uhm, tool, and a pic of it.. hope its work-safe :p

1) "punch diode out":
OD 4.5mm
ID 4.0mm

2) "press diode in":
OD 5.3mm
ID 4.8mm

5.6mm LD:
can: 3.6mm x 2.5mm
base: 5.6mm x 1.25mm

aixiz brass collimator:
ID (where LD can is): 4.75mm
ID (where LD base is): 5.6mm x 1.25mm (surprise!)
OD 8mm

i used antenna-segments too, after searching a good while for some alternative, with no success. anyway, these fit perfectly! thank you, FireMyLaser! :)
its brass with chrome-coating, so you could solder it to something too. its fairly hard and doesnt bend that easily.
as you can see, i put short (so they bend less) pieces on torx screwdriver-bits, to i can use more force on them without bending them. hammering works, for the tube. a bench vise would be the best option though.

so, guys, have fun with your tools! :p

manuel

Attachments

• manuels_tool.jpg
    manuels_tool.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 417

Benm

This seems like a good idea if you need to unmount a valuable diode!

But even after shoving the existing diode out with a vise and big hex bit as a ram, they stll work perfectly well. The casing is dented, mind you, but the diode is still fully functional and even the window seems to be in place.

daguin

Benm said:
This seems like a good idea if you need to unmount a valuable diode!

But even after shoving the existing diode out with a vise and big hex bit as a ram, they stll work perfectly well. The casing is dented, mind you, but the diode is still fully functional and even the window seems to be in place.

You are one lucky bug (points for source)

Peace,
dave

Benm

You are one lucky bug (points for source)

Well.. i must say i was a bit surprised. I got the aixiz modules with the included 5mw-ish standard laser diode and driver in them, so i need to remove them anyways. Curiously i connected one after removal and found it still worked.

Testing a couple more, it seems they all survive removal.

But i am removing them using a vise and a bit, not a hammer and a centerpunch or something cruel like that.