Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Remember to exercise those argons!

ok.. sure. always a treat to heat my house with gas and pretty light
arkr.jpg

diachi

Just fired up my argon for the first time in how long. I'm surprised it only took 10 seconds to lase...

Also, I really need to invest on a cooling solution. Cavity gets HOT after 60 seconds...

GwfzjM1.jpg

Yeah... really need a bunch of air going through there. Even the smallest air cooled tubes are dumping >500W of heat at designed tube currents.

*Tube gets hot would be more accurate than cavity. ;)

arkr.jpg

Envy intensifies... :p

vk2fro

arkr.jpg

OMG that looks awesome. How are you breaking out the colours? notice the beam is white (duh - Ar/Kr), but output from the galvos is different colours (reds and blues)

diachi

OMG that looks awesome. How are you breaking out the colours? notice the beam is white (duh - Ar/Kr), but output from the galvos is different colours (reds and blues)

PCAOM before the scanner. You see that box the beam is passing through? The one with the coax and BNC connector? That's the PCAOM. Polychromatic Acousto Optical Modulator for those that don't know.

Last edited:
PCAOM before the scanner. You see that box the beam is passing through? The one with the coax and BNC connector? That's the PCAOM. Polychromatic Acousto Optical Modulator for those that don't know.

exactly! the rf driver for the pcaom is mounted under the laser. you can see the coax cable coming up from a hole in the breadboard. that's my little holy grail laser with ct620 galvos. such a beautiful little thing:

here's a link to some info on pcaoms. they're really the standard for color and intensity modulation for ion lasers.

Archives and Download - PCAOM basics - www.LaserFX.com

vk2fro

Need to get me one of those so I can run my ILT 5500 through it - then onto my DT 40's. Shame mines only an Ar laser, so would need a source of red - DTR's shop o' diodes should help there. And I need to edit my signature. Some of my lasers I no longer own. Otherwise I'd use the Omni. Sold them to fund the purchase of a drone, and I live in an apartment, so only have room really for one air cooled ion.

Last edited:
scour ebay for them. they show up from time to time. i think the last one i bought was 75$.

Need to get me one of those so I can run my ILT 5500 through it - then onto my DT 40's. Shame mines only an Ar laser, so would need a source of red - DTR's shop o' diodes should help there. And I need to edit my signature. Some of my lasers I no longer own. Otherwise I'd use the Omni. Sold them to fund the purchase of a drone, and I live in an apartment, so only have room really for one air cooled ion.

Always love seeing these in action. I've got way too many irons in the fire right now. Thanks for showing this here. :yh:

I'm waiting for cooler weather before I get that room heater going again. Maybe in a couple months. I still have my A/C running.

diachi

damn man, been firing up the boring heaters at night here!
almost time to ignite the main furnace.

personally, i hate firing up my Ar/Kr without an audience. :/

Send it to me, I'll be the audience. :D

Awesome shot with the galvos. I have a set I ordered in a GB here years ago for a planned DYI projector that I've never even used. I should dig them out and figure out how to hook them up and use them with my argons.

Sadly I've neglected my argons for months since for most of June, July, and August it was balls hot here and I didn't feel like adding more heat to the house.

Finally got a new fan for my rectangular head and fired up tonight. Not shockingly even after sitting in storage for seven months it fired on the first pulse. May need fabricobble an adapter so I can use the blower from from cylindrical head since this one might not be moving enough air.