Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

red module powering

:-? Alright. I know that the red laser modules will produce some current when hooked up to any direct current. Could i get some detailed info on how to make these more powerful with,,,say a circuit board? Thank you.

roSSco

Laser diodes "consume" current. ;)

You need to know the maximum current your diode can handle and go from there. Do you know what diode you have or any specs on it?

I'm sorry but you really gotta give us more info. "red laser modules"? c'mon that could be nearly anything.

Now, I'm assuming you mean something like Greg's sony 16x dvd red diodes? You NEED a circuit board to power those. For simple starters, I'd suggest a LM317 current-limiting circuit. You can find info on these forums, or anywhere on the web with basic electronics tutorials.

That will let you provide correct power to your diode. If you have a 100mW laser though, you cannot make it more powerful with a circuit board or anything. You can overpower it by changing the circuit board, thus forcing it to put out more power, and devastatingly reducing its life in the process.

well i was referring to a 5V, simple red laser module.
i am not sure if they can be powered any higher..just thought i'd ask in case it was possible. Now with the 16x dvd burner diode---all you have to do is extract the diode from the burner, solder two longer pins onto the (-) and (+),,,,,,then hook w/e up to the pins for power--i.e. a mag-lite.---awhile ago i took apart a DVD PLAYER. then used the diode in a mag-lite, but by accident,the two pins touched, and shorted it out. I'd sat the output before if shorted, was around 30mw-40mw. But, yeah, fooling around with these guys can be fun! ;D

Again the question is asked -- What laser module are you talking about.  You need to be explicit.  The power supplies on most modules will take a range of voltages so long as the voltage drop across the regulator device doesn't cause overheating.  How much current are you driving the LD with at 5 volts ??  How good is the regulation of the driver ??

Mike

CW -- I tried to reread your posts to glean a little more of what you are trying to ask. I think you have a harvested diode mounted (I Hope) in some type of heat sink and you are powering it directly from a mag-lite. If you do some reading here, you will see that that is a good way to burn out an LD. Consider the LM317 current regulator circuit discussed at length all over this forum. 250 mA is generally considered as a safe max drive to the LD.

well ordered a few 5mw-5V red laser modules from dealextreme. I was just wondering if they could be modified?

roSSco

creanzworld said:
well ordered a few 5mw-5V red laser modules from dealextreme. I was just wondering if they could be modified?

It's not worth wasting your time.
sorry.gif

alright, if you say so! ;) i was jw. Say...do any of you people have any good projects to make good,red, burning lasers?

chido

I think you should take a look right here:
www(dot)laserpointerforums(dot)com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1186966870

Sorry, I can't post any links yet.

alright thx>>>i'm creanzworld<<btw<< ;) But the thing is, i'm not a "techy" kind of guy who knows the schematics and what not, of how to use a circuit board with all the added components--like transformers etc. So yeah.. haha