Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

red light inside green laser

kirby

I have a 50mW green laser pointer i bought from DX but i think something broke. There is no beam coming out, only a weak red light inside, i know it is IR. Is there anything i can do to repair it ? If not can I recycle it into something else, like an IR pointer ?

Be careful with that, it's easily 200mW or more of IR. I'm not sure if you can focus it as the lenses in the green laser are probably coated for green.

Nonsense. It's not 200mW. The coatings (like the "green" one you mentioned) prevent most of the IR leakage.

Show me a video of an intact dead greenie burning stuff, and I'll shut up.

I meant the diode itself, not the output at the aperture. So if he takes it apart, it will easily be 200+mW.

kirby

So i guess I should just keep the driver for a future homemade laser

Still would be a bad idea for him to look into the cavity at the 808 that's showing up. Even if its 15mW, it could be a problem.

Kirby: Your crystals in your DPSS are likely burnt or misaligned. DO NOT look at that dim red light. It's the infrared pumping laser diode which likely is functioning. As cyparagon said, a lot of it is probably filtered out, but there's still a possibility of optical damage if youre looking down the barrel of it to see what's going on. Do not do that.

There's also the possibility that the crystal could get knocked back into alignment and you'd suddenly get 50mW of 532 in the eye.

IF the IR diode is toasted (likely-depending on model of laser purchased...how's about a link ?) Then it CAN be replaced if you are patient, and it is a 5.6mm diode...if it is a c-mount (doubtful at that power level) then you are gonna go through hell finding a replacement. BUT - it can be very rewarding to repair a burnt out greenie. If it is a "New-Wish" styled one, ie - it unscrews in the middle of the barrel, and has dimples on one end, then it is fairly easy to disassemble and replace the defective IR diode. Now - WHERE can you buy a replacement diode ? :) Check out my shop for competitive pricing (had to do the plug, folks !) but if you do this repair, you will advance your knowledge of lasers by a factor of TEN. Besides, it's FUN ! Best of luck to you, post a pic, or a link to the laser you bought - you have my curiosity piqued ! ///Greg

kirby

This is the laser from DX: DealExtreme: $19.73 True 50mW Green Laser Pointer Pen Black

This is a pic of my actual laser, already put it in pieces

I studied electronics in college a few years ago before stopping. So i have basic knowledge and a few tools. i'm not really sure how to take the diode out though.

Attachments

• Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 5,097
Last edited:
The last part of the brass module unscrews (it is TIGHT !!!) and the diode will be seated in there. Before going that route, check the driver board ! But, you can purchase from some folks on here a diode removal tool (or use an ice pick like I did for my first one !!*not recommended !*) for fairly cheaply. Remove the diode (if it is a "standard" 5.6mm diode, and not a C-mount) and desolder the pins (note the orientation!!!) insert the new diode, solder it to the board, reassemble, and have FUN !///Greg

Cheech

Have you tried changing the batteries. My 30mw is the same way when the batteries are low, but I can see that it works through my phone's unfiltered camera.

kirby

The last part of the brass module unscrews (it is TIGHT !!!) and the diode will be seated in there. Before going that route, check the driver board ! But, you can purchase from some folks on here a diode removal tool (or use an ice pick like I did for my first one !!*not recommended !*) for fairly cheaply. Remove the diode (if it is a "standard" 5.6mm diode, and not a C-mount) and desolder the pins (note the orientation!!!) insert the new diode, solder it to the board, reassemble, and have FUN !///Greg
Thanks for the help i will try that, the removal tools are called diode press right ? I've seen them on the forum. Oh and the module was not tight at all.

Have you tried changing the batteries. My 30mw is the same way when the batteries are low, but I can see that it works through my phone's unfiltered camera.
Yes, of course, lol

kirby

Also, before i order a press, how do i know if it's a 5.6mm or c-mount diode ?

On a 50mW DX laser, I can't see any way that it would be c-mount. For one, the expense. Secondarily, there's just not enough real-estate in there for it.

@ aryntha, man I just noticed your signature. You ought to light all those up at the same time (with some help of course) & take some pics. You've got enough lasers to open a store !!!!!!!!