Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

red laser for noob

i am looking to buy at least a 75 mW red laser, i like wicked lasers pulsar series, but i was wondering if there was a better deal on a red laser for that power that looks nice like wickeds pulsar

<5 mW amazing1 laser(broken)
<35 mW evolution

chido

Here's what I posted on your other thread, just delete the other one since it's not in the right place.
DO NOT ABSOLUTELY NOT BUY FROM WICKED LASERS!!!! Their lasers are overpriced, and the pulsars don't even have a regulating circuit.
If you don't want to make your own, (which there's a ton of info on how to do it all over the forum) then go to this thread:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1201489372
Another guy asked the same question as you and I posted some links on where to buy them.

Normally I would agree dont buy anything from wicked.. But the pulsar isnt that bad of a laser considering it comes in a nice silver casing. Now any other laser from wicked I would say is a rip off but in the red market they kind of have a monopoly, granted you can make a 200mw red for a fraction of the price of the pulsar it wont look or feel as good in terms of build quality.

If you can I would upgrade up to the P125 which is on sale right now and is the same price as the P100. I hear the p125 puts out close to 150mw.

chido

Where did you hear the p125 outputs 150mW, all I've heard is that most of them are under spec, many people tested them using laser power meters and those are the results they got. The only good things wicked sells are goggles, and probably the core, but that's it. :eek:

i am interested in making one, if i were to do so, where would be the best place to buy a diode/ casing for one and would it be very difficult to make it portable and battery powered

so the casing is the diode and its ...what? i'm new and i'm not exactly sure on some things. but for the unit that you put the batteries and the diode and circuit in, i've seen some people use mini maglites, how easy- effective would this be and what would you recommend?

Gazoo

clwatkins10 said:
so the casing is the diode and its ...what? i'm new and i'm not exactly sure on some things. but for the unit that you put the batteries and the diode and circuit in, i've seen some people use mini maglites, how easy- effective would this be and what would you recommend?

Forget he minimag. It doesn't have very much room. I think the easiest host to work with is the MXDL.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4171

There is plenty of discussion about it in the experiments and modifications thread.

The module chido referred to houses the laser diode and includes a lens.

As Gazoo pointed out, get an MXDL from Deal Extreme, and search here for posts by Jayrob and look at the ones he has made. They look professional.

Gazoo

clwatkins10,

Just as a caution, if you make a laser you will need protective eyewear. The only goggles I recommend are wicked laser lasershades. I would post the link but their website is down.

JECS

dont buy anything from wicked... aixiz housings can be bought from ebay in a pack of 10 for pretty cheap. it may cost more than buying a couple but you will get more for you money and there is a pretty good chance you will want more than 1-3 anyways. there is also a korean supplier for diodes, they arent as powerful (apparently, though ive got some good burning out of them), but for about $10 each so its a good way to practice. you might want to buy a few extras just to play around with before you start buying more expensive diodes.

cheap laser diodes
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Lot-2-140mW-650n...ryZ53141QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
and
aixiz modules
http://cgi.ebay.com/12-X-30mm-laser...2792526QQihZ002QQcategoryZ53141QQcmdZViewItem
you can probably buy all the parts to make the driver from radio shack

minimag will probably kill the laser diode so dont do that.

i still dont have glasses and ive taken a beam to the eyes a few times from weird reflections. unless you got it focused to burn and youre sitting there staring at it for like 2+ seconds i dont think its a big rush

Gazoo

I don't like to disagree, however IMO goggles are a priority and should be purchased immediately. Keep in mind some peoples eyes are more sensitive, so what may not have had an impact on you could have a very serious impact on someone else.

The only good glasses are the ones wicked sells...the reason is ones sold by other companies make it very difficult to see the dot, same with the Sport Elite goggles wicked sells. Therefore the lasershades are the only ones I will recommend, and I have no problem recommending buying goggles from wicked:

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Red_650nm_LaserShades-49-16.html

Regarding the 10 pack aixiz modules, the quality of them has gone down and they do not come with the focusing ring. Now all of that may have changed since it was posted, but I no longer buy modules from aixiz. I get them from DX.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5914

If you get a module from StoneTek, it will be checked to make sure it is ok, however it will not come with the focusing ring.

The diodes from Korea are meant for 8X DVD burners and cost $25.00 including shipping. IMO since most people want the best diode for burning, it's better to just "go for it" and get the 16X diodes from StoneTek, and buy a pair of them which will cost $39.00 including shipping.

JECS

i just got my modules last month from aixiz and im quite happy with them. half the price of gregs for some reason so all the better. they come exactly as shown in the picture except they dont show the springthat is included. as far as i know they are the same greg sells.

it says the lasers are 8x, and i havent checked the sides to see the model number and ive already mounted them all in housings, but they seem much more powerful. i ordered mine in a pack of 5, which he doesnt offer anymore. im glad i did because i pulled the leg off my first one. always good to have some spares just in case the unexpected happens. so now i have 4 more and they can easily cut a piece of black tape or pop a balloon 6ft away in a matter of seconds.

from pictures/movies ive seen mine diodes are just as bright or brighter than other peoples 16x diodes. i cant remember exactly when i got them but its been around a month and its still going strong, burnt through a 2mm of plastic case in about 5-10 seconds, possibly quicker.

Gazoo

It's good to know you are happy with your reds. Maybe aixiz caught on the the quality control issues. So your are saying the modules did come with the silver focusing rings?? For awhile they didn't, they look like the ones on StoneTek.

JECS

if i didnt know any better id say dx and aixiz are the same minus the ld and sticker. other than that they are pretty much identical. and i intend on filling all 10 of them ;)