Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Red laser eye safety

I ordered a 5Mw 650Nm red laser and a 5Mw 635Nm red laser. From what I gather this is safe for the eyes if I don't point it directly at my eye. Is it safe to look at the beam when it it pointed at something else?

Also on the off chance that the factory screwed up and made it 6Mw, would clear polycarbonate safety glasses protect the eyes?

94Z28

I ordered a 5Mw 650Nm red laser and a 5Mw 635Nm red laser. From what I gather this is safe for the eyes if I don't point it directly at my eye. Is it safe to look at the beam when it it pointed at something else?

Also on the off chance that the factory screwed up and made it 6Mw, would clear polycarbonate safety glasses protect the eyes?

Clear glasses will not reduce a laser beam intensity enough to be safe for your eyes. Some safety glasses are made to refleCT and some are made to absorb... but clear ones transmit and allow it to pass.

No laser is safe for your eyes, I will tell you I often use low power pointers to view the beam but I am very safe and monitor where I'm pointing it with a controlled environment indoors. I make sure the risk is minimal and no reflective surfaces are in my area.

Use your glasses when it's necessary and be safe to terminate your beam into flat black item when viewing it.

Cheap ebay glasses do work for 5mw and 6mw if needed, but no you will not see the beam and very little of the dot. Majority of cheap 5mw pointers are over spec so watch out for that.

Last edited:
Clear glasses will not reduce a laser beam intensity enough to be safe for your eyes. Some safety glasses are made to refleCT and some are made to absorb... but clear ones transmit and allow it to pass.

No laser is safe for your eyes, I will tell you I often use low power pointers to view the beam but I am very safe and monitor where I'm pointing it with a controlled environment indoors. I make sure the risk is minimal and no reflective surfaces are in my area.

Use your glasses when it's necessary and be safe to terminate your beam into flat black item when viewing it.

Cheap ebay glasses do work for 5mw and 6mw if needed, but no you will not see the beam and very little of the dot. Majority of cheap 5mw pointers are over spec so watch out for that.

What color glasses should I buy to protect my eyes? Most of the glasses I saw were not for protecting from red.

Last edited:

Razako

I wouldn't worry about getting safety glasses for such low powered lasers. Just don't let the beam hit you right in the eye and you'll be fine. Even if the factory messed up and put out something with 10+mw you'll be fine unless you get hit right in the eye.

I wouldn't worry about getting safety glasses for such low powered lasers. Just don't let the beam hit you right in the eye and you'll be fine. Even if the factory messed up and put out something with 10+mw you'll be fine unless you get hit right in the eye.

I am going to be using it on my ankle (cold laser knock off) so it will be pointing at me sometimes. I also have polarized sun glasses and wielding glasses, would those work better or else what glasses should I buy?

Sta

I am going to be using it on my ankle (cold laser knock off) so it will be pointing at me sometimes. I also have polarized sun glasses and wielding glasses, would those work better or else what glasses should I buy?
Try these, choose green or blue color:
Eye Safety Glasses for Red Blue Green Laser UV Light Protection Goggles w/ Case | eBay

A word of warning, they will only block about 95% of red light ***AT BEST***. This means they are entirely safe for under 20mW, but SHOULD NOT be used for anything >100mW.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
" Is it safe to look at the beam when it it pointed at something else?"

I'm afraid you won't see much in the way of beamage from a 5mw red laser without some fog or smoke in the air. The human eye just isn't very sensitive to red light. Our eyes are much more sensitive to green light. A 5mw green laser has a beam that's clearly visible in the dark but 5mw of red......not so much.

Last edited:

diachi

If it's uncomfortably bright (I.e. enough to leave spots or flash blind) it's most likely >5mW - unless you were getting a reflection off the floor. I'd probably go with it being >5mW though. Be careful.

Last edited: