Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Red Help

paoki

Hi, i can't seem to find a thread about comparing red diodes, i would be ready to start building if i could find an advantage on a specific sled.
Some diodes have been reported to range from 635-650 making them brighter, others live longer and others give better beam.

if this exists somewhere on the forum, you are welcome to flame a little, if it doesn't it would be nice to have a list with info on sleds and diodes (not only red but in every colour).

paoki

No one??
Should i just buy any dvd writer, and start experimenting with a driver and random voltage?

searching on this forum is kinda messed up, i got better chances scanning the red laser section.

midias

Grab a dvd burner off newegg or some place then make a LM317 driver and have a pot adjustable current if you want to go that route. I am not sure about which sled provides the best red color but there are many diodes on ebay for you to play with.

You will want to get a LPC-815 sled they are avable here just LOOK.
the driver you will need will depend on how many volts you plan on putting into it.
if it's a low voltage 2.2-5.5 volts you will want a boost type driver, try Dr.Lava
if you have a high voltage 5.6-33.0 volts you will want a DDL type driver try RKCSTR.
Hope this helps ;)

paoki

Thank you for your help, my main problem is choosing a red diode (sled). I can't find any info on specific diodes, for instance their max power, or with what driver they work nicely.

I am looking to build a powerful (>300mW) red laser.

midias

Good luck at >300mw not sure on a diode that is perfect for that but a LPC-815 with proper lens and approx 420mAs should be about 275

try the LPC-815 sled you should be able to get 300mW easyly with a good lens.
have you enterd LPC-815 in the search box ?

Thank you for your help, my main problem is choosing a red diode (sled). I can't find any info on specific diodes, for instance their max power, or with what driver they work nicely.

I am looking to build a powerful (>300mW) red laser.

paoki

Thank you, that was very helpful, i'l probably start on the LPC-815.
Although i thought that a 24x burner would output more.

midias

Thank you, that was very helpful, i'l probably start on the LPC-815.
Although i thought that a 24x burner would output more.

I think a 24x has a different form factor vs the standard LOC or LCC. It may be harder to mount.

paoki

I think il also buy a 24x and try that as well, hoping to get something more out of it compared to the loc. Here in greece i can buy a Asus 24B1ST for 12.99eu (could it be loc?), il play with it anyway.

Let us know what you come up with ;)

I think il also buy a 24x and try that as well, hoping to get something more out of it compared to the loc. Here in greece i can buy a Asus 24B1ST for 12.99eu (could it be loc?), il play with it anyway.

paoki

I haven't got that asus drive yet, but i decided to ruin an old recorder, the NEC ND-3520A.
Only 1 thread has pics for this one , and mine looks different, so i thought id post some pics.

Anyone know if i can use the circuits as a dummy load driver???

The diode with the glass is......IR???

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 2.jpg