Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Recycling DPSS Optics for higher power?

I have a few dead DPSS modules which were genuinely in the region of <5mW green output, with proper IR filtering etc and cooling fins, from industrial process control systems.

So I was wondering about the optics, would it be possible to fit a MUCH higher power diode or would the optics fail? Are they usually built down to a specification where higher power diodes will just crack crystals etc?

THX

A more powerful diode will have a larger emitting area and so a wider beam. The beam may not fit in a small set of crystals.
Heat dissipation will become more important. As the diode warms up, the center wavelength will shift which will reduce the conversion efficiency and make the output unstable.

Sowee7

It might work depending on the model, also is it using a to can or c mount diode?

They aren't C-mount diodes, I just looked up the package style and they look like a larger version of the TO-56. I couldn't find a package which matches them. I would say the front part of the diode is maybe 7-8mm in diameter.

Sowee7

They aren't C-mount diodes, I just looked up the package style and they look like a larger version of the TO-56. I couldn't find a package which matches them. I would say the front part of the diode is maybe 7-8mm in diameter.
can i see the diode, is it to-9 or to-5?

can i see the diode, is it to-9 or to-5?
I'll try to get some pics uploaded soon, we have a lot going on at the minute so might take me a while unfortunately but I will definitely do so.

I've hafd a quick look online and from memory it looks like the TO-9, quite wide front section, small flange at the back.

Commander J. Bloodmaker

I have a few dead DPSS modules which were genuinely in the region of <5mW green output, with proper IR filtering etc and cooling fins, from industrial process control systems.

So I was wondering about the optics, would it be possible to fit a MUCH higher power diode or would the optics fail? Are they usually built down to a specification where higher power diodes will just crack crystals etc?

THX
two words, Pelter cooling. I built a few laser modules for my cnc with pelters attached to prevent drift. Why worry about drift on an engraver? Well more power and accuracy of course. The lower the wavelength the more power focused in a smaller spot, and there's more to it. I know I increased my power input drastically, but I also increased the quality of the etch. Anyway, pelters will suck away almost any amount of heat you need if you design the system correctly. Or just call one of the millions of companies around the globe that deals with pelter cooling lasers and electronics.

two words, Pelter cooling. I built a few laser modules for my cnc with pelters attached to prevent drift. Why worry about drift on an engraver? Well more power and accuracy of course. The lower the wavelength the more power focused in a smaller spot, and there's more to it. I know I increased my power input drastically, but I also increased the quality of the etch. Anyway, pelters will suck away almost any amount of heat you need if you design the system correctly. Or just call one of the millions of companies around the globe that deals with pelter cooling lasers and electronics.
I may think about it if I ever mess around with anything high power for a lengthy period of time. I did note years ago that when I overdrove my early green DPSS laser pointer the beam geometry and position on a far wall would change as it warmed up, then moved back as I cooled it with freeze-spray. I noted that the output also became brighter as it got REALLY cold, is that a common trait of DPSS or was it possibly just not set up right in the first place?

Commander J. Bloodmaker

I may think about it if I ever mess around with anything high power for a lengthy period of time. I did note years ago that when I overdrove my early green DPSS laser pointer the beam geometry and position on a far wall would change as it warmed up, then moved back as I cooled it with freeze-spray. I noted that the output also became brighter as it got REALLY cold, is that a common trait of DPSS or was it possibly just not set up right in the first place?
my green dpss diodes do that as well. had a really cool one tht was mode hopping and forming cool shapes, as it would heat and cool. It even had a second beam coming off at like maybe 12 degrees or so from the main beam, and it would do its own separate mode hopping!!! My friend bought that laser fomr me for 3 times what I paid, I couldn't say no. He loves that weird diode like a child, lol.