Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Recommendations for a 20A or higher bench PSU, for under $150 shipped?

RHD and others:

High current supplies do not typically work well in CC near 0A. The shunt voltage is just way too small. This one seems to be performing a little worse than expected, but it is typical to have problems in that operating region. My 125A supply (power ten, inc. made in USA) shits itself when trying to operate at <4A CC, and killed this XML I was trying to run:

On one hand, I think it should be able to drive loads like this, but on the other, I know the limitations. You can raise the shunt voltage, but that means increasing the shunt resistance, which wastes a bunch of power. CV it doesn't have a problem with, as I'm sure yours doesn't either. It'll run this same LED in CV no issues. Even my 20V 50A linear HP/agilent supplies only have ~150mA resolution on the fine knob.

It's par for the course, I'm afraid. If you're driving a 1A load in CC, avoid 140A supplies. People typically don't buy a 140A supply and then run it at 1A CC. When you run CC loads at a higher percentage of max current, it should start behaving itself better.