Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Recommend me a laser

Jakelol

I would like to get a laser to use as finder when i do astronomy instead of using a optical finder.
I would like it to use AA, AAA or 18600 batteries and very focused beam.
Also the laser needs to be no more then class 2 and under 1 mW for me to legaly own one without a permit here in Sweden.
I probaly have forgotten a lot of stuff because im not have so much knowledge about laser but i do know that i need to use googles.

Last edited:

julianthedragon

If you need to see the beam in the sky, a laser under 1mw is going to be a poor choice. You might want to consider something in the 5-50mw range DPSS green 532nm. The goggles will similarly hide the beam of the laser but they aren't as necessary in that power range if you're shining the laser far away and only viewing the beam. Back in the day a green Dragon Lasers Viper would have been the perfect AAA host but now I'm not sure what to recommend. You can purchase a 5mw 532nm pen that runs on AAAs from Laserglow. For higher power maybe a custom build or you can email JetLasers and ask if they can build you a low powered version of their 532 PL-E Mini

belmo

If you need to see the beam in the sky, a laser under 1mw is going to be a poor choice.

This ^

If you could stretch from AAA to a single 10440 instead (almost the same size), you could get a 50mw 505nm pocket laser from Sanwu - good price, the host is tiny, and they're really well built.

As you're planning to use it for astronomy, I would recommend 505nm as this wavelength is closer to the brightest for night viewing, so you could get away with the slightly lower power pointer.

Of course this is still not anywhere near 1mw. I just don't see any way around this if you plan on pointing it at the sky.

So you can see for yourself, check YouTube for a review of the Wicked Lasers "Nano" by XM360, this is a green laser that's only 15mw, if you skip to the section where it's used at night, you can only just about see it. (Don't buy from Wicked Lasers by the way)

So unless it's an extremely foggy night, anything 15mw or under is going to be barely visible.

Last edited:

julianthedragon

505nm as this wavelength is closer to the brightest
Technically the 520nm 50mw pocket from sanwu would be closer to the 555nm peak though. And divergence is important too. Direct diode lasers can have very nice beams depending on optics but they are more likely to be divergent, while 532nm DPSS is known for having a thin beam near single mode that would be good for star pointing. But that might be a matter of preference

I've also heard of Sanwu building lower power lasers for customers upon request, so OP could ask them and see

loreadarkshade

I have beautiful 488nm lasers for sale, very bright and only 55mW so they are relatively safe.
They are not labelled as "laser" so they pass customs.
They use 3x AAA batteries.
The 488nm is brighter than my 505nm 35mW.

_MG_7840.jpg

belmo

Technically the 520nm 50mw pocket from sanwu would be closer to the 555nm peak though.
Our light sensitivity changes though, the 555nm is the peak for photopic vision (daylight/light adapted), while 507nm is the peak for scotopic vision (night/dark adapted viewing).

But yeah like you said, a good DPSS will likely have a tighter beam, OP will just need to make sure it's not too cold 😁

julianthedragon

Our light sensitivity changes though, the 555nm is the peak for photopic vision (daylight/light adapted), while 507nm is the peak for scotopic vision (night/dark adapted viewing).
Ah, I've never heard of that before tbh. Had to look it up and apparently the three cones see 555nm as the peak but the rods in low light see around 507...you probably know this just reiterating. I'm just wondering, aren't rods supposed to have less of a role in color/more about making out shapes in the dark? So while your eyes might rely more on rods in the dark, why wouldn't the cones kick in with that bright green laser right in front of them?

I forgot OP is from Sweden, so actually yes the cold is a good case for going with direct diode 😂