Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Recommend a PC for me

I have a pc with a 256mb intel express GPU, the rest of the specs are ok, they all have no problems with any games I want to play.

I am kind of broke so the most I can afford to pay for a PC is around 150 dollars, I know that it can be done, but all of the solutions are DIY, and I cant do much other than LEGOS :crackup: all I really want is a PC with 512+ Video Memory GPU, maybe even a 1GB. I really only want to be able to play factorio.

am willing to extend my budget

EDIT: WHOOPS I meant 250, not 150.

Last edited:

buy an origin pc with the best up to date super spec with everything overclock which should cost around $30,000 in total with 4k monitor included and you should be good for life.

buy an origin pc with the best up to date super spec with everything overclock which should cost around $30,000 in total with 4k monitor included and you should be good for life.

for games i use =
Alienware 4940mX 16gb Nvidia + intel and 4K display and 32gig memory
1TB SSD from Samsung + another msata and i took the other 2 hard drives out
i have it connected to a 27" PlayStation® 3D Display with SimulView Technology
when i play games + i have VR and its soo cool :friend:

At that budget, the best you'll be able to do is probably a NUC or something around that price. Maybe look for an old used computer.

image.jpg

...250? American dollars? That won't get you very far, but I suppose you could check eBay for some hand-me-down systems with OK specs for the price

...250? American dollars? That won't get you very far, but I suppose you could check eBay for some hand-me-down systems with OK specs for the price

exactly, that's what im asking for, some old hand me downs that run cheap right now, but used to cost alot. (like the iphone 4, which you can get for 40 bucks now)

exactly, that's what im asking for, some old hand me downs that run cheap right now, but used to cost alot. (like the iphone 4, which you can get for 40 bucks now)

Are you looking to replace just the GPU, or the entire system (CPU, GPU, RAM, MBO)?

Shoot me a PM and give me your exact system specs currently, and what you want to replace, also let me know exact games you wish to play, I'll try my best to put something together.

Are you looking to replace just the GPU, or the entire system (CPU, GPU, RAM, MBO)?

Shoot me a PM and give me your exact system specs currently, and what you want to replace, also let me know exact games you wish to play, I'll try my best to put something together.

GPU, but I have no idea if I need soldering skills (I have extremely basic knowledge and a 4 dollar harbor freight iron) and dont know how to replace it

diachi

GPU, but I have no idea if I need soldering skills (I have extremely basic knowledge and a 4 dollar harbor freight iron) and dont know how to replace it

Unless it's built into the motherboard then no, you won't need soldering skills (Can't remove a built in GPU anyway, at least not without making the mobo unusable). Just remove the old one from its slot (May be secured with a clip and screw) and insert the new one. Just plugs into (I'm assuming your system is newish) the PCIe slot.

If it's built into the motherboard then you can't remove the old one - but you should be able to insert a new one and use that instead.

Some pictures/more detailed specs of your system would help us help you further.

Last edited:
Unless it's built into the motherboard then no, you won't need soldering skills (Can't remove a built in GPU anyway, at least not without making the mobo unusable). Just remove the old one from its slot (May be secured with a clip and screw) and insert the new one. Just plugs into (I'm assuming your system is newish) the PCIe slot.

If it's built into the motherboard then you can't remove the old one - but you should be able to insert a new one and use that instead.

Some pictures/more detailed specs of your system would help us help you further.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Dell Inc.
Inspiron 530

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 3072MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3062MB RAM
Page File: 2141MB used, 3978MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11

Card name: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.0)
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 3100
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_29C2&SUBSYS_020D1028&REV_02
Display Memory: 256 MB
Dedicated Memory: 0 MB
Shared Memory: 256 MB
Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I don't know your location, but it really shouldn't be hard to find an older GPU to just plug in there. Inspirions are crappy, but you should definitely be able to find a GPU that doesn't exceed your PSU output.

Gtx 960 can be had for around your budget, older cards for less, and worst case you can pick up a PSU for under $50 easily.

What games specifically are you trying to play at 1440x900?

I've actually suggested GTX 750 Ti and not going higher on that machine.

I believe the older Q6600 CPU and it's corresponding chipset do not support newer PCI Express x16 3.0 lane standard, only the older 2.0, so if you go GTX 960, you're bound to lose a TON of performance there - unless you're actually making an investment into the future and are planning to replace the rest of the system eventually.

Also, a 750Ti can be bought for tad over $100 - leaving the rest for a RAM upgrade (DEFINITELY get minimum 4GB), and perhaps to replace some peripherals; how old is that monitor? Do you need new speakers, mouse, keyboard?
If not, it's easy to just put the spare cash on the side and save up for a new system later.

Also I'm not saying all this just because I'd be jealous he'd have a better graphics card than me :p KIDDING, kidding.

Yeah, just the RAM and a low-grade new discrete video card should do wonders for that system.

Oh, and an SSD if there is any extra money. Makes old computers new again!