Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rechargable batteries for my laser?

I built my own diy red laser but it uses batteries like crazy ( i have 4aas powering it) And i was looking around for recharagble batteries and i found a 7.2v nicd pack like the kind for remote control cars. I was wondering if that would work for the daedal driver i have in it or is 7.2 volts going to break my laser?

....lazer..... ;D ;D ;D

Things

nope it should work fine! daedals circuit can handle up to like 24V for the regulator, but the capacitor might be only 16V, but anything under 15V should be fine.

cool i thought it wouldnt work because he said it was set up in current regulation instead of voltage regulation, the good thing is it came from a nice remote control car so the battery pack is 2000mah of pure ni-cd power lol.

Cept it does measure like 8v instead of 7.2 when i measured it so i might just put a small heatsink on the lm317

....lazer..... ;D ;D ;D

Okay good i think i have a small one laying around good thing it will work i had to replace the batteries every 30min because the power dropped substansialy (yes i know i speled it wrong)...

EDIT: i took apart this old charger because i knew there was a small heatsink on it and on the heatsink guess what i found lol a lm317 wow.

....lazer.... ;D ;D ;D

I've found that a 6 cell NiMH or NiCd battery is perfect for me.

I just took apart my 'portable' I had built in to one of the RadioShack 8aa cell holders. Wishing I had taken pics... 6 NiMH cells, one slot for the driver, one slot for the laser module. a bit on the big side, but it could run for a Long time. I also used the washer between the two sides on the AixiZ module trick (I think that was from Daedal) to help with heatsinking.

I hope those ideas are of use to you wooooooooooooo.

Okay i made it completely i put a 7.2v ni-cd only type i had, recharable, the 2000mah was to big for my holder and i hooked it up and the heatsink on my lm317 works pretty good it still gets pretty warm but it runs good for 2 min and im not gona run the diode any longer even with a fan

I tried it outside and i could clearly see the dot in daylight far away and i lit a match at 4 feet and it lights firworks within half a foot instantly once you find the focal point ;D

....lazer..... ;D ;D ;D

IVe tried it again it lights fireworks from 4ft!!! in about 30 sec, I might try to somehow get a heatsink for it and push it to 320ma It runs so good now tho i dont know if i want to ;D

....lazer..... ;D ;D ;D