Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Recent advances in self-frequency-doubling crystals

An in-depth article that may give some clue how yellow light is generated.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S235284781500091X

Journal of Materiomics

Volume 2, Issue 1, March 2016, Pages 55-65<br>

open access
Recent advances in self-frequency-doubling crystals
Author HaohaiYuJiyangWang

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmat.2015.12.001Get
rights and content
Open Access funded by The Chinese Ceramic Society
Under a Creative Commons license<br>

Abstract
The self-frequency-doubling (SFD) crystal is a representative of multifunctional crystals. In recent years, SFD crystals and lasers have gained renewed attention based on the progress on SFD crystals and lasers and Nd:RECa4O(BO3)3 (RE = Y or Gd) crystals, with SFD lasers becoming commercial products. Here, we review the advances of SFD crystals and lasers, including the basic selection rules, theoretical analysis and recent progress of some potential SFD crystals and lasers. The Nd:RECa4O(BO3)3 crystals and lasers are highlighted, and their applications are also proposed and discussed, which may provide some inspiration for the further development of the SFD field and multifunctional materials.
We review the advances of self-frequency-doubling (SFD) crystals and lasers, including the basic selection rules, theoretical analysis and recent progress of some potential SFD crystals and lasers.

Last edited:

DTR

It is amazing the pace of developments fuled by the availability of many new higher power pump sources of varying wavelengths becoming available. I am looking forward to seeing some yellow and orange lasers in the 1W range that are getting close.

Last edited:
That was a very interesting paper on the numbers and types of crystals now available to produce many of the visible and mid IR lasers we have available to us now., Will have to come back to it as I had to skim it as it is fairly long. :thanks:

My take on the yellow laser is this crystal is a SFD.

Could be. I would like to know specifically which of the SFDs it is, if you are correct. Would also like to know its axis for doubling and its power density/cm^3.

Could be. I would like to know specifically which of the SFDs it is, if you are correct. Would also like to know its axis for doubling and its power density/cm^3.
Wouldn't we all. Judging by the verbal description and photographic evidence what else could it be?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I’m pretty sure we worked out it was sfd a while back. As there is no doubling crystal present.
Plus any reference to the possibilities of which crystals could be being used, almost always points back to sfd crystals anyway. But still a good article to read. Still we have no clue which crystal it is specifically.

I’m pretty sure we worked out it was sfd a while back. As there is no doubling crystal present.
Plus any reference to the possibilities of which crystals could be being used, almost always points back to sfd crystals anyway. But still a good article to read. Still we have no clue which crystal it is specifically.

I forget which yellow thread 565nm or 574nm it is but there is a closeup photo of what appears to be a small crystal. As I recall there are two parts, the diode which is set behind the crystal followed by crystal. To my knowledgeable there is no commercially available direct yellow diode so that as you noted brings us back to an SFD crystal.

P.S.:

OSA Publishing Toggle navigation

OSA Publishing > Optics Letters > Volume 41 > Issue 5 > Page 1002
Self-frequency-doubled vibronic yellow Yb:YCOB laser at the wavelength of 570  nm
Qiannan Fang, Dazhi Lu, Haohai Yu, Huaijin Zhang, and Jiyang Wang

Optics Letters Vol. 41, Issue 5, pp. 1002-1005 (2016) •https://doi.org/10.1364/OL.41.001002

Abstract

A watt-level self-frequency-doubled yellow laser at the 570 nm wavelength was realized by taking advantage of the vibronic emission of a Yb3+ doped calcium yttrium oxoborate (Yb:YCOB) crystal cut along the optimized direction out of the principal planes with the maximum effective nonlinear coefficient. Fluorescence spectroscopic properties of Yb:YCOB were studied, which showed that it had broad and anisotropic vibronic emission with a small peak at ∼1130  nm. By suppressing the electronic emission, the polarized vibronic Yb:YCOB radiation was realized with the fundamental wavelength shifting from 1130 nm to 1140 nm. By employing the self-frequency-doubling behavior of Yb:YCOB, the self-frequency-doubled yellow laser was achieved with a maximum output power of 1.08 W at 570 nm. This work provides an unprecedented and efficient way to generate yellow lasers with a compact microchip structure that may have promising applications in some regimes including medicine, entertainment, and scientific research.

© 2016 Optical Society of America

Full Article | PDF Article
OSA Recommended Articles

Rise in power of Yb:YCOB for green light generation by self-frequency doubling
Federico Khaled, Pascal Loiseau, Gérard Aka, and Lucian Gheorghe
Opt. Lett. 41(15) 3607-3610 (2016)

Widely tunable yellow-green lasers based on the self-frequency-doubling material Yb:YAB
Peter Dekker, Phillip A. Burns, Judith M. Dawes, James A. Piper, Jing Li, Xiaobo Hu, and Jiyang Wang
J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 20(4) 706-712

Last edited:
Growth, thermal and laser properties of a new self-frequency-doubling Yb:CNGS crystal Growth, thermal and laser properties of a new self-frequency-doubling Yb:CNGS crystal - CrystEngComm (RSC Publishing)

Abstract
A new optical single-crystal Yb:CNGS (Yb:Ca3NbGa3Si2O14) was grown successfully for self-frequency-doubling with the sizes of 25 mm in diameter and 50 mm in length using the Czochralski methods. We studied the thermal properties of these crystals systematically, including the thermal expansion coefficient, specific heat, thermal diffusion coefficient, and the thermal conductivity. The absorption and fluorescence spectra of Yb:CNGS crystal were measured. The absorption spectra show a broad transmission range from 350 to 3500 nm. The continuous-wave (CW) laser output at 1060 nm was demonstrated with a- and c-cut crystal. The maximum output power was about 1.53 W under a 4.03 W incident power with z-cut crystals. The slope efficiency was as high as 47.8%. An efficient CW self-frequency-doubling (SFD) green laser was performed with a diode-pumped Yb:CNGS laser. The CW green output power was 37.1 mW and the wavelength tunability from 526 to 532 nm with input pump power as been demonstrated.

I had actually read this paper a couple of days ago. I posted about it in another thread earlier today. It is interesting, but since we have 532nm DPSS lasers quite inexpensively already, I doubt it would be something anyone here would be interested in trying.

It is interesting, but since we have 532nm DPSS lasers quite inexpensively already, I doubt it would be something anyone here would be interested in trying.

True, but it does have me wondering if other wavelengths towards the yellow part of the visible spectrum could be produced. In my continuing search for a simple diode pumped yellow laser has not panned out. There are a number of layouts for yellow diode pumped lasers but all are complicated; many use a fiber optic.

If these 575nm DPSS lasers are SFD crystals then there already are cheap and easy yellows. We only need to find out the composition of the crystals and a cheap source for them.

Hopefully we will see some more DPSS yellows, I know in time we will have directs but DPSS typically has good beam quality, plus it gives me an excuse to buy some of each. :D