Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

really quick question!

i just received the RF532-200mW-FLX from www.rayfoss.com. When i was using it today i forgot the safety shutter wasn't opened and pressed the button for about a second, quickly realizing the shutter was closed. I was just wondering if that did any damage at all to the laser because of green light reflecting back into the laser. i read somewhere on these forms that it wouldn't be a good idea to shine the laser with a cap over it. i am just a little paranoid, hoping that it's fine. i shined it (for my first time) outside and it looked AMAZING so i'm hoping i didn't do any damage. just a little reassurance would be nice!

Thanks!

daguin

It should be fine. Reflection is more a problem for diode lasers. DPSS modules are much less vulnerable to reflected beam damage.

Peace,
dave

ok thanks for the quick reply. and there's absolutely no chance i burned the shutter at all cus it's black, but it looks like it's made out of metal and it was only on for a second, right?

What Dave says !!! I've done it myself occasionally and NO problem.
Worst case would be burning some coating off inside and the smoke fouling the lens. Then you would need to clean it but you didn't do that in 1 second.

HMike

ok thanks mike and dave (sigh of relief), i guess they probably wouldn't have these safety shutters if it damaged the laser if you shined it with it closed.