Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Real Phaser

Skram0

Here's my attempt at a real phaser. It's from an old Star Trek Super Phaser II target game from 30 years ago.
http://shatner-store.stores.yahoo.net/rar19megsupp.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VZixPyIEhE

The only physical modification I made was to clip the power switch wires and replace with my own, in case I want to restore the toy to working condition. It's amazing how the laser housing was made for this case. ;) I tweaked a GB diode to 180mA for some good phaser power. It only has one power setting. For small insects it's set to kill. ;D

Maybe sometime I'll make use of the built in 9v connector. Or perhaps put 2 9v's in parallel for longer use, or 2x2 CR123a's. But for something I had available, I used 4 AAA batteries. I know they won't last long (they're already down to 5.8v after 5-10 mins of total use), which is why I'll think of a better power solution later.

Attachments

• phaser01.jpg
    phaser01.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 228

Skram0

The battery compartment.

Attachments

• phaser03.jpg
    phaser03.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 228

Skram0

A closer look at the inside.

Attachments

• phaser04.jpg
    phaser04.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 1,249

Skram0

Burning a 0.75"x0.75"x1.5" cube of foam.

Attachments

• phaser07.jpg
    phaser07.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 380
H

High_Octane

Thats Killer!
I actually purchased a 40th anniversary Phaser for a laser host, but I can't get myself to hack it up any.

S

SenKat

NICE !

My Son has been DYING to have me build him one - but even at 23 years old, he is not responsible enoguh to own a high powered laser :( *Sigh *

Gazoo

Totally cool, has been on my list of to do items...I really need to get around to it... :p

Skram0

That front shot was tricky. It kept shutting down my camera. I had to point it pretty far away from the camera.

That is a great laser host you got there, it looks like you have LOT of capacitance across the diode, does it noticeably turn on and off slowly?

I've been reading on these forums for a few weeks now, and I kept asking myself "Why hasn't anyone put a laser in a toy lasergun and made 'the real thing'?? " Great to see someone finally did it.

I think I've still got one of the Star Trek TNG Type 2 phasers in my parent's attic somewhere among the boxes. I've been thinking of digging it out and building "the real thing" myself :)

Gazoo

Actually it has been done before and there is a guy on ebay that sells them but it is a green beam. The first time I saw one I was amazed...the sound effects of the laser along with the beam popping a balloon was neat. I think that was a red one if I recall correctly.

Skram0

LaserCo said:
That is a great laser host you got there, it looks like you have LOT of capacitance across the diode, does it noticeably turn on and off slowly?
All those big caps to the left are part of the toy and not being used in the LD circuit. For being 30 year old caps, they amazingly still function. They sure don't make'm like they used to. Or maybe it's just all the power supplies and motherboards that get swollen caps might be due to over voltages.

Man, I think I saw one of those green phasers on ebay a while back. $1K!!!! Mega bucks..