Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

real basic c mount question

After reading the string on the c mount 2 watt portable here, I started reading up on c mount diodes. At first I thought the big hole in the middle of the diode was the emitter but then after a short time I found out no, thats the screw mounting hole in the middle. So now i'm moderately confused. I dont see where the beam comes out.  

:-/

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6555/cmount.jpg

Attachments

• c_mount.jpg
    c_mount.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1,081

Untitled-1-4.jpg

the black line in the photo?

so it makes a round beam or a line looking beam?

(edit lol you guys were posting as I was editing)

Attachments

• c_mount2.jpg
    c_mount2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 775
Seems to me these would be easier to work with as far as installation cause you wouldnt have to worry about damage from removing them from a sled or press in damage since they come off with a big screw. Only thing would seem to be getting them cenetered with whatever optics you mounted in front.

The beam tends to be rectangular or square at best. You need some fancy optics to make it round but it can be done. C-mounts are not physically coupled to your external optics. Often there is a diode sitting out in free space with a pair of cylindrical lenses or an anamorphic prism pair or other optics sitting in mounts a distance away channeling the beam into a chunk of YVO or YAG.

m60gunner29 said:
Seems to me these would be easier to work with as far as installation cause you wouldnt have to worry about damage from removing them from a sled or press in damage since they come off with a big screw.

These are a fair bit more delicate than your normal 5.6mm canned diodes. The bonding wires and laser emitter are exposed and easily damaged if your screwdriver happened to slip.

This is useful to me as I was going to get a few small C-mounts to play with and learn the right way to mount and focus them.

thanks for the info