Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Re: Group buy for 16X dvd burner diodes !

Gazoo

A 5 watt running off a single aa battery? Very unlikely. The battery wouldn't even last a half hour...if that. It would be nice to know more about the circuits in the LED flashlights DX is selling. The one you posted the link to uses a boost circuit, if in fact it does run off a single AA battery. But I can't justify paying for anything unless I have a good idea of what I am getting no matter what it costs. I will admit I do love the style and smallness of those single AA LED flashlights. If we knew of any we could use with the included circuit, it would be easy to mod.

I sort of like this one:

http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414253

And this one:

http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=414255

Thanks to Kenom for finding the 2AA version.

Granted these are much more expensive than the ones on DX. I think I will wait to see what Daedal has in mind for his new circuit...lol

S

SenKat

I am not certain - I have wanted to find one to mess with, it SEEMS likea good candidate.....

Daedal

I'm actually gonna go see if the local walmart or target have these in stock and I'll show everyone the internals of this thing... :)

--DDL

Gazoo

Daedal said:
I'm actually gonna go see if the local walmart or target have these in stock and I'll show everyone the internals of this thing... :)

--DDL

Daedal,
That is the same one Kenom was planning on trying. I am still meaning to get one next time I get out. My local Sears supposedly has them in stock. So if all else fails, try there :)

Daedal

But it's so far away! I hate going to sears! :-? :(

Wish they had more places scattered around! :mad:

--DDL

wizcam

Senkat or Daedal - I'll send you mine and a Diode. Maybe I'll get back a "LaserTorch" ;D or a message saying it didn't work and a box of parts :(

either way you'll be able to let everyone know what you find out.

If it works - Add a new flashlight to the list, and you'll know exactly what to do with the next one you get.

If it doesn't - mark one off.

Stan

Well - I built my first SenKat diode into a little project.  Works OK too :)

The flashlight is an Ultrafire C3 I got from DX.
I hope the picture comes through well enough to see.

Mike

It's hard to read but the meter shows 210 mW peak and 190 mW stready !

Attachments

• Red_Laser.jpg
    Red_Laser.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 276

Nice work! Loots pretty sweet! Whats the current going into the diode?

I got all my stuff wired together for the diode, minus the battery pack, according to DDL's circuit... Before I soldered the pack to the circuit I decided that I should check to make sure it worked. Glad I did! The switch on the pack was broken-- Always stayed open regardless of position. Curse you radioshack! On the upside, I traded it for another, so I should still have a working, leetsauce DIY Altoids laser by tonight! I hope my diode works, I have been EXTREMELY careful. Even misted the area with anti-static spray prior to mounting...

Gazoo

Hemlock Mike,
I have the same question...how much current are you pushing through the diode. And are you using the LED circuit that came with the flashlight? Thanks. It looks like an awesome little burner. I need to do something like that with my next project. I know you saw the picture of the flashlight I have my open can diode mounted in...lol. It is too darn big, but it does have its advantages.

I hate to admit it but before I assembled the light, it was drawing 165 mA and reading 98 mW...... I was pi$$ed at the light for being so weak. I assembled it and found a miracle !!! 200+ mW out. There must have been losses in my test setup.
THEREFORE --- A guess that it's running at about 300 mA. That's the max for this boost circuit with an e2 cell.
It rolled off my desk and hit the floor :mad: "Takes a hazing and keeps on lasing" !!

Mike

Gazoo

Sorry to hear you had an accident with it. But that light sounds like a good candidate for these diodes. Thanks for the info...

S

SenKat

16X dvd burner diodes !

Hey all, I am gonna split the technical part off of this thread, and move it to the experiments and mods section - and lock the original sales thread....the new group buy thread is getting burried ! LOL  I am VERY happy that everyone seems to be have such great fun and success with these diodes, I guess I did good for a change :p hehehehe !

SenKat --
I was having a good time there !!!! Oh Well ----------
Are these LD's a generation above the original Dr_Lava diodes ?? seems so.

I'm ready to push a couple to the MAX !!! That's why I bought 10 of them !!!
The first one was too easy 200 mW ;D

Great GB -- Mike

S

SenKat

Hey, no worries, Mike ! Actually, they are 2 gens above the Dr lava diodes :)

Weeelll -- That explains 200 mW !!

Nice diodes. I hope others get a bunch to experiment with.

Thanks for the GB ;D

Mike