Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RCR123A rechargeable batteries.

Lee

It seems to me that alot of the lasers on the market use CR123A batteries, which can be a pain to replace often because of price :-[. I have been looking around for a rechargeable version which does not jack the voltage up to 4 (regular Cr's are 3V) when fully charged.

Does anyone use these kind of rechargeable bats?

Gazoo

resaL said:
It seems to me that alot of the lasers on the market use CR123A batteries, which can be a pain to replace often because of price :-[. I have been looking around for a rechargeable version which does not jack the voltage up to 4 (regular Cr's are 3V) when fully charged.

Does anyone use these kind of rechargeable bats?

You might want to have a look here:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=125353

Deal Extreme has similar batteries, but I don't know if they are the same chemistry and I seriously doubt their claim of 1000mah.

Radio Shack has a set of charger and 2 batteries for $29. At elast you have somewhat of a warranty/return policy.

Gazoo

desslok said:
Radio Shack has a set of charger and 2 batteries for $29. At elast you have somewhat of a warranty/return policy.

True but I don't think anyone knows if they are protected batteries, and the OP was looking for a li-ion with a lower voltage. When it comes to batteries I did not skimp and wanted to know what I was getting. So I ordered 4 RCR123's from AW and I am looking forward to them.

I ordered the UltraFire charger drom DX because it will charge so many sizes of li-ion batteries, and I will do the mod so I can charge RCR123's without having to use a spacer.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1251

Ref

The Tenergy batteries I purchased from all-battery state they are regulated to 3.0 - 3.2ish volts (at least on the ebay page), but my multimeter seems to dissagree. I have had them put out 4.2V right off the charger.

Lee

When mine come in, I'll have to check their voltage. If its over 3.5V at full charge, I'll look for a different set.

My KD-50 has been great and works wonderfully with rechargeable Lithium CR2s (DX SKU#932). I use The UltraFire 3.0V/3.6V CR123A Charger (DX SKU#1236) because I have other lights that use CR123As. I use spacers to charge the CR2s (Rare-Earth magnets (DX SKU#5962) and make sure to switch the charger to 3v before I plug it in. The CR2s come out of the charger at 3.4v and give a nice bright visible beam. I have hours on them now and the diode's fine.

Cheers, CC

Gazoo

SuperNova said:
I went with this one because the number of recharge times is higher (2000) for the LiFePO4 type. The volts are supposed to be 3.0 to 3.2 under load, 750mA claims to discharge at a max of <550mAh and you get 6 cells and the charger for ~ $27. Oh and free shipping in the USA. I will post results when they arrive.

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1877

SN

I like that setup and it looks like a good deal. The batteries charge up to 3.6 volts. It will be interesting to know if the voltage drops after they have been resting for an hour or so after being taken out of the charger...similar to nimh batteries. Please let us know.. :)

bcroft

i just bought the same ones as supernova and received them the next day! maybe they can teach DX something. i just wanted to post what i found out. after about an hour and 15 min. after being charged my DDM read these bats at 3.52V

This charger is set to 3 volts and will cut off the voltage at 3.55 volts according to a reviewer when he used protected 3.6 volt batteries. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1191 This is another charger with a 3 volt setting that states that you can still charge 3.6 volt batteries on the 3 volt setting but that it will not fully charge it. I have no idea what the cutoff voltage for this one is but i just ordered this charger and some protected 3.6 volt cells and i will test them on the 3 volt setting with my multimeter when it arrives and post back here. http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1236

Gazoo

bcroft said:
i just bought the same ones as supernova and received them the next day! maybe they can teach DX something. i just wanted to post what i found out. after about an hour and 15 min. after being charged my DDM read these bats at 3.52V

Thanks...I wonder how fast they will drop to their nominal voltage of 3 volts under a load. But your information helps :) A pair of your batteries will put out appx. 7 volts...much less then that the regular RCR123's that are greater than 8 volts off the charger even after resting a while.