Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RB's Last Minute tips for the Total Solar Eclipe.

Ok guys found this info for all you lucky people in the path of Totality.
I know it's last minute but if it helps anyone, it's worth it.
There's a fantastic app available that will assist you in your quest for Totality.
It's called "Solar Eclipse Timer".
It's not free but well worth the asking price.
Check it out.

>>>> https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/solar-eclipse-timer/id1203105865?mt=8

>>>> Also here's the video that accompanies the app and has some great info.

>>>> Also something I've never heard of before is this "Shadow Snakes" or "Shadow Bands".

>>>> And just for fun (because I like chickens)....

Good luck everyone, stay safe and hope you have a fantastic Totality, get some nice pics/vids for me.

:cool:
RB

GSS

RB, I'm sorry as I skimmed over the first 2 vid's as i'm no no nowhere near the path of Totalilty:( but I did see the chicken vid...
:crackup::crackup:
they were all messed up:eek: Did the rooster crow again?:crackup:

This is the astronomy tool I am using on my PC. You can use it online for free, or buy it for $9.99 and use it anytime on your laptop. Kinda neat :D

Sky View Café

-Alex

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hey Andrew, thanks for the link and the videos! :yh:
I've never heard of those shadow bands before, I wonder if they'll show up at all in areas of less than total eclipse?

BobMc

Only had time to check out about half of the first video ( check out the rest later) but thanks for posting! Shadow bands (snakes) thought they were just shadows of my relatives. :D

No seriously thanks for posting them. :)

diachi

Keep seeing posts on social media about keeping animals indoors so that they don't look at the sun and get blinded. :rolleyes: Seen other people talking as if the sun is some giant death ray in the sky. One pregnant woman asked if the eclipse would have any side effects to herself or her baby. :confused:

Hope you guys further south get nice clear skies! :)

Thanks for the post RB!

Encap

Excellent link--NASA is also flying 2 specially outfitted WB-57F jets to see the total eclipse for about 7 minutes at 57,000 feet.

"Images of the Sun will primarily be captured at visible light wavelengths, specifically the green light given off by highly ionized iron, superheated by the corona. This light is best for showing the fine structures in the Sun’s outer atmosphere. These images are complementary to space-based telescopes, like NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory, which takes images primarily in ultraviolet light and does not have the capacity for the high-speed imagery that can be captured aboard the WB-57F."
from: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2017/chasing-the-total-solar-eclipse-from-nasa-s-wb-57f-jets

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Yep, where I'm at looks to be about 78% coverage, not too bad.

Edit: I just got a chance to look at the eclipse through a welding helmet (pretty cool), the sun was probably 35-40% covered at 1:50pm here, which is about one half of what we'll ultimately see here!

Last edited:
That was really cool here in Atlanta, looked like a thin smile that worked its way around then finally grew , but it was a petty long span with the sun mostly blocked, 2:35pm peak but it was more like a peak from 2:20 to 2:50.

It looked as if we just got the new high efficiency LED sun, lol
No but it looked like those old westerns where they would use the daylight filter and pretend it was night time only you could see the suns glare reflecting off things, very much a dim daylight and because we are used to seeing an orange dusk this was like a white dusk, very cool. :)

i would post pictures here but theyre not done importing also i need a break..... too much happened today. i will probably make a thread on my experience tomorrow or something.

also heart attack today, camera died and glued itself to my tripod a minute and a half before totality. praise God i had extra batteries on hand