Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rayfoss dark purple host fixit?

Id like to know how to remove the module from the host, my diode has died and i cant find a way to remove it.
Could i maybe even replace just the diode with a better one,
the laser was a 50mw blu-ray from rayfoss i don't know what diode was in there, but its dead.
Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited:

Uh -- Mike -- could you redo that post? I can't read that very well. Take time to read it before posting.... please??

HMike

Mike -- That is better !!

First of all, I assume that the host is a Newish style pointer housing. I posted long ago how to use split wood block with a drilled hole and in a vice to remove the front portion of the laser. It takes a little work but usually no damage.
Depending on the driver you have, there are sleds on this forum available to replace your LD. You will need soldering tools and some form of press to remove and replace the LD in the heatsink.
IF you have a good boost driver and get a 6x diode --- easy 180 mW !!!!

HMike

Rayfoss

Is the host i own, I can see the module.
What would i do to remove it put the whole host into a vice and then push the module out which way?

OH poop -- That isn't a pen. Somewhere, there's a threaded part which will allow disassembly. I don't have one like this but I bet others do have one who will help.
Once you get it apart and post photos, we should be able to help with the internals.
Come on members -- how does this come apart?
I think there is a threaded front portion which opens. Someone once put it together.
HMike

Mike -- Hold off on the vice until we know more.

Last edited:
Thanks to Inequlity from this thread
http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/rayfoss-blu-ray-50mw-waterproof-focusable-46492.html
I am able to provide some better pictures then i have before.

The REAR
http://i45.tinypic.com/209hc3b.jpg

The FRONT
http://i47.tinypic.com/wugtmo.jpg

Another photo of the aperture but this time the laser is on(shows how weak it is now :(.) You can see more down the side, it seems it is hot glued in place.
http://i48.tinypic.com/x3x2zd.jpg

I'm thinking hair drier + some kind of wooden stick to push it though, still don't know which way i should push though.

Last edited:
Slow down --- This is water proof ???? I don't see the front window or a focus lens. Some part of the housing should unscrew to access the module. Use caution, go slowly and hopefully someone with one of these will provide insight.

HMike

I removed the tail cap and front cap before i took the pictures lol.
Those are pictures of the module.

Id like to know how to remove the module from the host, my diode has died and i cant find a way to remove it.
Could i maybe even replace just the diode with a better one
The module is pressed in the host. Mine was pressed really hard.
So far, I have found only one way to remove it: you need a metal tube with inside diameter of over 9mm (driver PCB is 9mm wide) and outside diameter slightly less than 11mm; you have to push in this tube from the back side of the host and use a hammer to knock the module out. It sounds a bit crude but I have done it two times without any damage to the host or the module. You can reuse the module and put another diode inside.
A potential problem is that the driver is not well centred.

try using a deep well 10mm socket and a vise for removal. hope that helps

Hmm i haven't that equipment, i contacted rayfoss it seems i left it on due to the back button have lousy contact and turning on in the middle of the night, i woke with it shining at me from the desk, it was pretty hot.
Few days later it died(Last night).
Maybe its still under warranty.

They arent contacting me back

Last edited:
Hmm i haven't that equipment, i contacted rayfoss it seems i left it on due to the back button have lousy contact and turning on in the middle of the night, i woke with it shining at me from the desk, it was pretty hot.
Few days later it died(Last night).
Maybe its still under warranty.

They arent contacting me back
That would have done it.

Your going to love upgrading that unit. PHR-803T w flex V at 120mA is my suggestion. :)

I know if your persistent it will fit in there... you might have a problem with the lens arrangement though those have a preset glass in a screw type brass housing they work good enough for pointing just not good at all for burning. Stick with it let this be your first build could be very rewarding.

In any event let us know how things work out for ya. jander6442

They contacted me and asked me to send it in for repairs, id love to get into DIY but right now id rather have my laser back ha, plus i don't have the equipment to push the module out of its host.