Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

raw led die

hey everyone, im looking for a supplier for bare LED dies (dice?) a strange request, i know.

obviously, as a home gamer, i dont need 50,000 a month. and i need more than one or two, so requesting samples is out.

specifically i am looking for infrared GaAs chemistry. roughly the ones used in the 5mm size. i had no luck with hours of filtering and different phrasing on alibaba.

the other option i have been considering is to buy a cheap lot off fleabay, mount them carefully, and dissolve the resin to harvest the die. a considerable amount of research indicated methylethyl ketone soak for about a week might do the trick, but i dont want to get into anything more toxic.

Yes, i knew it would come up, and you're all going to laugh. I want to use them as solar panels of sorts for a wearable. Surprisingly, they put out a fair voltage, but not so much current in sunlight.

Encap

Same question as Diachi---why?

Why so lazy? Google "bare led die" you will get thousands of possilbe suppliers. Here are two.

See: White LED-Chips » LIGHT AVENUE

Digi-Key sells them--See https://www.electronicsweekly.com/news/business/distribution/digi-key-sell-bare-die-chips-websites-2015-03/
"As part of its plan to to support prototype and production order quantities the online distributor will work with die processing firm Minco Technology Labs to offer semiconductor bare die products in minimum waffle pack quantities of 25 pieces online."

Now you've done it, here comes the why use and LED, use something designed to convert sunlight into DC power...

I contacted minco, who is now owned by another company, and they told me they no longer supply to non business individuals. I thought i hit the jackpot, because they are located here in my hometown.

Ill use a solar panel, if soneone can find me a mono cell small enough for my application, or a supplier for the GaAs cells that nasa uses. You know, the ones that'll cost me an arm and first born child.

1mm square is the largest i want to go, thats leaving enough room for me.

Encap

Wearable --meaning what?

That you can't find anything to suit your application tells you what?

Guess I can't understand why so small, not sure what you want this to go into, but if you wanted to share more detail, you probably would have by now. I found a small device which can be used as a solar cell at this URL, seems plenty small enough to me.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9541

Thanks Alaskan. Ill look into photodiodes a bit more. When i was messing with the leds, they produced triple that voltage, and almost the same current. With the active area being, a 10th that size?

Encap, man. I dont know if i pissed you off at some point, or what. If i did, im sorry. I posted to the forum for help. I understand the premise of this idea is out there, but the ridicule you're giving me is unreal. I'm not lazy. I have been googling this specific topic for a few weeks now. I have been on this specific project, on and off for 2 years.

This site used to be so much more. I understand there's kids on here now, noobies coming in and not even making an attempt at looking through the forum. But, damn, you know. This is a pretty out there question.I asked for help. If you dont have an answer for me, dont reply. Thats fine to do.

i will be testing diodes in bright sunlight now to see what they do, see what you did!

Yeah i was looking at those 0201 leds. The problem is the die is physically smaller. And if i had the die from a 5mm led, it would be bigger.

Then go to the next larger footprint or larger.
If you go to raw dies then you will need equipment
to attach connections to the dies.

Jerry

Last edited:
Ill look back over the data sheets and see if the die is on there.

I recall reading an article a couple years ago, linked off this forum, of a guy that did some home die wire bonding. I remember he burned his first die, and used, i believe pure indium for the second. Since these dies (dice?) Are only collecting, there wont be power dissipation or heating to worry about