Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ratio - R:G:B

VW

So where are the best affordable places to get modules if you wish it for RGB? I don't see any point in buying a 473nm labby if it's not going to give good results. I was looking at DL, but while they're cheap, the specs aren't the best in the world...

I can sell you modules, but you get what you pay for. I can get some really decent quality stuff, but the prices will look expensive compared to the lower-quality module prices (IE DX) that we're used to seeing on LPF. If you just want cheap, that's possible too, but you can't expect great quality from that.

4.5:1:1.5 for 660 RGB and 3.5:1:1.5 for 635 RGB is how I understand it.

VW

This is a long term plan so over the time I'd be picking up decent labbies (i.e. no DX, places like DL would be the lowest I would go), 473nm being my highest priority out of the three.  Just trying to guage my options in the mean time...

pseudonomen137 said:
I can sell you modules, but you get what you pay for. I can get some really decent quality stuff, but the prices will look expensive compared to the lower-quality module prices (IE DX) that we're used to seeing on LPF. If you just want cheap, that's possible too, but you can't expect great quality from that.

totally agree, you get what you pay for.

cheap maybe good in the short term but no good in the long term.

VW

andy_con said:
what does matter is analogue modulation.
Could you elaborate on that a little?  From what I've learned the past months I haven't read much on the subject...

VW said:
[quote author=andy_con link=1214073152/12#12 date=1214154844]what does matter is analogue modulation.
Could you elaborate on that a little? From what I've learned the past months I haven't read much on the subject...[/quote]

When dealing with modulating lasers, you can have TTL (digital) modulation, or analog modulation. With TTL modulation, its just like having a light switch. You send the laser an input signal that's either 0V or 5V. At 0V the laser will be fully of, and at 5 V it will be fully on (or vice versa) - there's no in between. On the other hand, with analog modulation 0 and 5V may still correspond to full off and on, but you also get everything in between - 2.5V would be 50% output, 4V is 80%, etc (this is in an ideal, perfectly linear world. Normally things aren't so wonderfully linear though unfortunately)

TTL modulation is normally faster than analog, but the advantages to analog are vast. IE, if you had an RGB with TTL, you only have 7 color options. Fast enough switching, and you can simulate a few more perhaps, but that's it. With analog, you get everything - an infinite array of every color possible with a mixture of red, green, and blue. Therefore, analog modulation is typically a bare minimum requirement for any modern lasershow work. (similar results used to be achieved on gas lasers with modulatable crystals called AOMs, and its still possible to modulate DPSS lasers via AOMs, but its typically easier and cheaper to purchase units with built in analog)

VW, can you PM me the requirements of the lasers you're looking for, a general idea of your budget, and what type of time frame you're hoping to work on? I may be able to get you a good deal on some pretty awesome modules, and I'm always up to offer whatever help I can. I've worked on my own RGB in the past, but the slew of decision eventually cut the project short. Hopefully I can at least pass of what I've learned so others don't have to make the same dumb mistakes I have.

VW

^Thanks!

This is probably a longer time frame than expected, as like I say this is a long term plan, but I would say over the course of six months or more.  As obviously, even just to get the modules I'd be needing at least $1000 (473nm is a bomb), so it's enough time to save up before I can start thinking about an actual RGB set up.  But in the mean time, that's more than enough to get some practice in, build my own labbies (or maybe buy one/use my portables) and get experience with smaller and simpler scanners.  I have a few things I need to pay for over the next few weeks, but by next month I'll be putting money away for a 473 (I figure getting the most expensive out of the way first would be the way to go)...

So would the modules from laser glow be the kind of thing I would be looking at?  Or are there cheaper options out there? DL?

http://www.laserglow.com/index.php?lrs473