Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rate My Power Supply

gksudo

Hi all. I have this unit a neighbour gave me in exchange for me giving/installing a 5.1 sound system in his garage.

Here's the power supply. I've never shopped for one, so i don't know what the specifications mean. Would YOU trust this with a laser diode? I think it'd be a great testing device.

Here's a picture or 2:

Front View
0908110413.jpg

Closeup
0908110414.jpg

Specs from the company's site:

Description:

Mastech HY3003D is a brand new lab grade DC regulated power supply. This highly stable, high quality DC power supply has an output continuously adjustable at 0-30V DC and 0-3A. What's more, the unit is equipped with coarse and fine controls for adjusting the voltage and current outputs, making it extremely easy to set the output to your desired level. The unit comes with 2 backlit LCD displays, providing accurate readout for the voltage and current values.

Specs:

Adjustable outputs: 0-30V and 0-3A

Line regulation: CV <= 0.01% + 1 mV, CC <= 0.2% + 1 mA
Load Regulation: CV <= 0.01% + 3mV, CC <= 0.2% + 3 mA
Ripple noise: CV <= 0.5 mV RMS, CC <= 3 mA RMS
LCD reading accuracy: +/-1% for voltage and +/-2% for current

Benm

It is possible to run laser diodes directly off power supplies like these. You have to be careful though, since they often DO have small buffer capacitors after the current regulation.

As long as you power up with the diode connected and the voltage set to zero, it shouldnt be a problem. Also, its best to start up with a low setting for the current regulation, then regulate the voltage up until it starts current limiting, and then slowly turn up the current to the desired level.

This is another one of those re-branded devices that also sell under mpja and others. I use them in the lab quite often, and haven't had problems when used as a basic PSU. But I would not trust it with a laser diode directly. I would however power a driver with it.

Just my opinion.

Daguin, DTR, myself, and a few others use these to directly power laser diodes all the time and we have not had any problems.

I have one of the more basic models of these myself, and it is a fantastic power supply. Cheap, but does what it is supposed to do - regulates current/voltage, and it does it well! Yes, powering a diode with one of these directly works, as long as you are not right next to the LED current =p

Fiddy

yep, use the constant current pots on the front works a treat!

gksudo

Thanks for the replies!

I hooked an old it diode to this power supply, but for some reason I could see flickering. Probably because the camcorder was framing at just the right speed. Though it might indicate that the supply isn't super steady.

I have one almost exactly the same. Except mines 0-30V and 0-5A.. I've ran a few diodes without any of them blowing