Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Random thoughts

If the truth be known improvement in UAVs is going in the opposite direction; newer ones are getting smaller not bigger. DJI is the unquestioned leader and their Mavic and Spark series are much smaller than the older Inspires and Phantoms.

DJI brought out Lightbridge which was reliable up to five kilometers at a much more reliable frame rate with no ghosting at 1080p. The newer Lightbridge2 is even more reliable.

While older UAV initially had obstacle avoidance in one direction pointing down to make landing easier; later models added both downward and forward obstacle avoidance. Now DJI has introduced models with side obstacle avoidance added, and the newest have backwards as well. Not only has the number of directions increased but so has the size of obstacles detected been improved so now instead of just detecting walls and big branches small twigs are detected.

While not strictly UAV related improvements in cameras have resulted in photographers describing some UAVs as flying tripods. Certainly the gimbals that hold and adjust the camera to compensate for movement of the UAV in flight have greatly improved, along with image stabilization in the camera itself. An interesting (at least to me as a photographer and UVA pilot) is that DJI has bought the Hasselblad camera company; no doubt to up their imaging game.

From my point of view this has nothing to do with marketing driven schemes but are real solid improvements that allow greater range, improved images that can be captured, and safer flying; all at a cost that is lower if corrected for inflation.

Very true.
There's been dramatic advancements by DJI in the last few years, especially since the intro of the Mavic Pro.
The improvement in flight times now are gained, in most part, from newly designed FOC Sinusoidal driver ESC's which improve back EMF and hence efficiency,
coupled with the new and improved propellers with the swept back tips which reduce noise by up to 4dB (60%).

I have the new P4P v2.0 and the Mavic Platinum and flight characteristics are a marked improvement over previous models.

DJI are 'killing' off competition as it arises (which is also a bad thing in one respect) by improving their tech in leaps and bounds.
The rumoured new Mavic 2 Pro (actually two new versions) are set to be announces on Aug 23rd and it is widely believed to have new features in both versions.
One will feature a Hasselblad Camera and the other an Optical Zoom camera, amongst other features.

We'll have to wait till then to see what they have to offer and entice us with.

RB
:)

Edit: yes Ragebot, as others have stated, please combine your multiple posts.
Refrain from multi posting, it's unacceptable.
:tsk:

Last edited:

It tends to clog threads with a lot of used up space that is totally unnecessary. I don't like it and I know of many members here that don't. I will often delete a post if I want to post again even several hours later because it is good etiquette. I just add the information to the next post. It is simple and keeps things from getting jammed up.

Last edited:

Coonie

Forum etiquette.
Problem with that?

RB

What if I do, punk

Dirty+Harry+1.jpg

:crackup:

It's a favorite of a couple of former banned members too, they come in here with a sock and start doing post after post in a row, one guy did four all within a five minute period of time the other day just to get a rise out of members, I'm sure. If you want to be seen as a potential troll, just keep doing that.

It tends to clog threads with a lot of used up space that is totally unnecessary. I don't like it and I know of many members here that don't. I will often delete a post if I want to post again even several hours later because it is good etiquette. I just add the information to the next post. It is simple and keeps things from getting jammed up.

I can understand that. Couldn't a signature then be considered just as bad? I see some pretty lengthy signatures here.

What if I do, punk

Dirty+Harry+1.jpg

I know what you're thinking.
Has RB banned me six times before, or only five?
Well, to tell you the truth, with all these returning trolls, I kind of lost track myself.
But seeing as though you keep jerking people around, you gotta ask yourself one question.
Do I feel lucky?

Well, do ya, punk?

RB

Last edited:

Benm

Hobbyist laser technology has not changed much since I've been interested, that was way back in the 90's. Oh sure, new wavelengths, less expensive lasers but that's it. There are other laser technologies but not available to the casual hobbyist. For the serious hobbyist with high discretionary money to spend there are.

I'd strongly disagree on that.

Back in the early 90's it would be unthinkable to have blue wavelength laser diode with an output of several watts on a budget of $100, or $10.000 for that matter. Nowadays you get it for $50-$100, even installed in a module and capable of several watts of optical output with fairly cheap drivers too.

Discretionlary money isn't really a thing, unless you can spare a billion left or right and not worry about it. In that case you could now probably have a batch of tailor made laser diodes for you, at your desired wavelength and power level.

You may even get multi-watt 455 diodes developed with that kind of money - they are not impossible to produce, there just is no mass market for them where they are so much useful than multimode diodes to justify the investment.

Coonie

Dirty+Harry+1.jpg

Well, to tell you the truth, with all these returning trolls, I kind of lost track myself.
But seeing as though you keep jerking people around, you gotta ask yourself one question.
Do I feel lucky?

Well, do ya, punk?

RB

You got the humor :D and I thought we weren't going to be friends. I'm used to being called a troll/banned member. That seems to be the immediate go to whenever there's a conflict for some reason. Has it really been that bad? Nevermind, I don't want to know.

You got the humor :D and I thought we weren't going to be friends.
It wasn't humour and I can't be bought by 'cute' chit-chat responses.
My friends here have earned my respect and friendship.

I'm used to being called a troll/banned member. That seems to be the immediate go to whenever there's a conflict for some reason. Has it really been that bad? Nevermind, I don't want to know.

You've been around the block.
Not buying your nonchalant responses to these accu-sations.

RB

Could someone explain the comments about editing my posts/threads. What I call a thread is what happens when I click on the New Thread button and start a new topic. When I make a post in that new thread that is what I call a post. So am I suppose to combine all my posts in a thread or combine the threads.

The thing you just did is called posting, you just posted in your ( Random thoughts ) thread.

If you post and then wish to say something else, but your post is still the last post showing in the thread you wish to post in, then edit that last post to include your new thought.

---Edit---

I am now adding a new thought to my existing post, I also wrote ---Edit--- to let people know I added something, but that part is optional.

---Edit---

Also if you make a mistake and post twice in a row you can click " Edit " bottom right and then " Delete " also bottom right and remove your mistake, but it's really simple so I'm sure you will have no trouble with it.

Interesting name ragebot, not what I would expect given your avatar, something like SaltyDog would be more fitting, so I am curious, is that your pic....I mean is that you and is that your bird or is it just a pic that you chose to use ?

Last edited:
SNIP

Interesting name ragebot, not what I would expect given your avatar, something like SaltyDog would be more fitting, so I am curious, is that your pic....I mean is that you and is that your bird or is it just a pic that you chose to use ?

Yes that is me in the avatar, but the bird belongs to my admiral/girlfriend who gives the orders on the boat; I am just the captain who does what she says; sometimes called Captain Obvious.

... of course not... If my post is the last /newest in a thread and I need to post again AND its a fairly new post--- not an intentional necro-- or an important update OR if its a FS thread that needs 'bumps' and is 'allowed' a double (or more) then it fine to post as ofter as you want and no need to edit and add to your last post.. a rare or occasional double its often overlooked/not mentioned --especially coming from one of our seasoned vets ---- I consider their time more valuable than mine--- however --triples quads etc that could be easily avoided- by using the 'edit' is another thing.
and likewise its not too hard to copy/pasta them into one neat post...

I am sure you will agree that ..say...that six or seven back to back posts of very few words and maybe NO VALUE-is a PITA- we must draw a line and that line is--do not double post (except when it is within the above guidelines) if you want your 'laser for sale' thread to be at the top-- you bump it..
OKay?
another reason doubles (etc) are to be avoided is the practice of 'post count building'.. just for the numbers.. (there is a minimum number of posts before a member can place a ForSale thread- as well)
That's the way its done here and new members need to just 'go along' as you will never change the 'way' this is handled..

hak

Last edited:

Coonie

It wasn't humour and I can't be bought by 'cute' chit-chat responses.
My friends here have earned my respect and friendship.

You've been around the block.
Not buying your nonchalant responses to these accu-sations.

RB

Well I was just being myself. It seems you will continue to be too.

Could someone explain the comments about editing my posts/threads. What I call a thread is what happens when I click on the New Thread button and start a new topic. When I make a post in that new thread that is what I call a post. So am I suppose to combine all my posts in a thread or combine the threads.

Sorry for the hijacking

Those questions were well answered by hakzaw1. It is not considered a double post if a day has passed. That has always been my understanding. So, bumping a sales thread to the top is fine once a day. Also, if you have new information and no one has posted since your last post for a day, then post again.

Last edited:
Dirty+Harry+1.jpg

Do I feel lucky?

Well, do ya, punk?

RB

Excellent....:crackup:
This "made my day"....

[EDIT]

I thought I explained it quite well on this Post...:beer:

https://laserpointerforums.com/f44/where-use-powerful-laser-103218.html#post1542065

BTW I edited this Post to answer your question
so that I would not Double Post...;)

Jerry

Last edited: