Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Random 1st attempt at using prisms

Well I bought 4 ebay prisms, they are glass, triangular. Not too bad. Though I don't know what I'm doing with them :D figured I'd just pile them together and aim a laser at them?! This was the result with a 100mW 532nm and a maglite, it's a first attempt... I may just get some 5mW lasers to try this in future, as it's not something I like doing with a 100mW without an IR filter on it indoors :thinking:

10574-random-set-up-4-triangular-glass-prisms-ebay-my-100mw-532nm-laser-mini-mag-lite-exposure-15-seconds-my-panasonic-compact-laser-about-8-seconds-mag-lite-torch-going-whole-time.jpg

If anyone has any experience in using prisms then I'd really like to hear what you do with triangular ones. Do you stand them on their end length ways or lay them down?? Which part of the prism do I aim the laser at? I'll try again soon :D Brucemir I'm looking at you for hints as you're the one who inspired me?! :thinking:

Cheers :beer:

Wait.... are you trying to combine beams? I don't really know about this, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Wait.... are you trying to combine beams? I don't really know about this, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

A prism can't normally combine beams, it can however separate different wavelengths of light, however the beam splitter cubes some here use that can also combine beams are a type of prism. Optics makes my brain hurt so just read a little about them here:

Prism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One type of prism is the "dispersive prism", the triangular prism is a dispersive prism, again read more here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangular_prism_(optics)

Alan

No, I'm just trying to just get a result from a Prism. I've just not used one before :D I've solved part of the issue though. I've got hold of a 1mW violet pen pointer. Now I can try different angles without needing glasses.

I was having some issues seeing what I was doing, and I wasn't trying to combine beams. I just wondered which part of the prism to aim for and how to position it to get the beam to change course :) I've found it now though, someone on here had a great picture of it. Hopefully I will be able to take a picture of it soon.

I saw your comment on my rep page, I hope it worked out for you, have you found any angles yet which got a nice beam split for you?

Last edited:
I just wondered which part of the prism to aim for and how to position it to get the beam to change course

I'd be damn impressed if you can hit a prism and have the beam NOT change course. So you must be doing something horribly wrong :shhh:

Last edited:
Haha thanks, I've had another go and I've got some far better results using a friend's 1mW laser. I just haven't posted them due to work getting in my way :D