Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Radio Shack Lasers?

I am thinking about buying the green laser pointer from radio shack and i have a few questions. It is a 5mw right? Is it any good? I think i remember someone said that the made it more powerful. How could i do that? Thanks alot.

do you live in the us? if not get one from dealextreme.com because they are way more powerful and way cheaper! if you live in the us then that isn't an option unless you can get someone to buy it for you and import it themselves.

yeah live in the us. Really this is the only option i have. What about ones on ebay from china? Can they be shipped to the us?

i had one of my friends buy one of them, they are pretty good lasers. we pot modded it and it can light matches really quick, that was several months ago and it's still going strong ;D it's worth the price if you can pot mod it correctly and not over do it.

You can still buy from Dealextreme, which is what I would do in your situation, problem is that you can't buy anything over 5mW.

Jimmymcjimthejim said:
You can still buy from Dealextreme, which is what I would do in your situation, problem is that you can't buy anything over 5mW.

True, but I've heard that the newwish 5mW pointer is constantly overpowered, usually 10-20mW. :D Usually that's a bad thing because it's terrible quality control, but in this case this is good. :p

Now to tell you the truth, i don't even know what a pot mod is. LOL. I am very good with tools though so i could probably do it. Does anyone have a guide? If i think i can do i might go ahead and buy the RS one. If not i will order from DX.

pot == potentiometer (sp)

its just a "screw" that you turn to raise the power.. turn too much and you blow the laser.

yeah i figured that that what it stood for i just didn't think that there was a pot build in. Thanks for the help.

What's the most you could turn an Ebay 5mw, without busting the laser? I've heard a half turn, but I'm not sure.