Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Quick Question

Fazor

Hi Guys, quick question.

I bought a cheap 5mW $40 laser for a pistol, and it uses a cr2 3.0 volt battery.

Took the laser to the range, and I'd like it to be brighter of course.

Question is, if I purchase a Juice 3.6v cr2 battery for it, would it be brighter since it's a little more voltage? Or will it burn out the laser?

Not sure what an extra .6 volts would really do.

Thanks.

can you post a link to the laser so we can take a look at it and see

The only thing a higher voltage battery will do burn it out quicker. If you want a more powerful laser without it burning out you must buy a stronger laser. Note: pot modding will also burn out your laser.

It looks like you'd have to break it open and replace the module with a stronger one, but I don't think its worth it to break open a $40 5mW laser. Unless if it allows acces to the module, replacing may be easier than it seems

Fazor

Ok, well I guess I won't buy that Juice battery then.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Sounds like I'll just have to live with what I got, or buy a more powerful one... which I don't think they sell for guns. Pretty sure 5mw is max for what's legal.

$10 says it is stronger than 5mW....ill dig up a thread that someone bought a laser sight for their gun and it put out close to 100mW even though it was labeled at 5mW

IMO you should still get a rechargeable Li battery. CR2's are expensive so you'll save money there, and the Li's can handle higher current draws for longer, but yes it won't actually make anything brighter.

I've rebuilt that almost exact same unit. It can only be modified if you have a lathe. While there is a 12mm module in it, it is a threaded hole that is slightly smaller than 12mm. The I made was n star, I took out the green module and put in a microboost set to 500ma and an m140 powered by a juice 3.5v. This was too much current for the pressure switch though so only the tail cap could be used.

Last edited: