Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Quick driver question!

jbtm

I'm sorry for sounding like a noob when most people would say "USE GOOGL!!!" But I did look at other threads and just wanted to verify some stuff.

First off, I got a laser + aiXiz focusable lens from daguin. He told me the PHR is a blueray (violet) laser diode, and runs safely at 120mA.

So I'm looking for a driver, and debating "Do I buy one, or do I make one" So, I guess first, is there any math I need to know to figure what resistance to tune a pot. so i can be around 120mA and not over?

* Also, What schematics are best for custom drivers? I have the right tools, should have the parts, and I have oscilloscope if needed.

*If I was to just buy one, is there anyone on the forums that pre-tunes it so my laser will run happy?

*Can I run it off 2AAA batteries? I dont know the diodes voltage...But I have a old LED flashlight, runs off 2AAA, and I can easily hack my module to fit inside it.

Thanks for your time, Hoping to get this laser up and going this weekend :)

It depends on your host. a rkcstr drive is only about 15 dollars with a preset current. However you need your battery voltage to add up to atleast 5 volts. So you need 2 AAA's that give off enough power for 5V's.... Its not really the diode that you have to worry about when it comes to the batteries. You just need enough power to get the driver going.

You could use a Flex Drive from Dr.lava, they are most expensive, $27 for a flex drive that's preset-ed. However its perfect to run 3 AAA's. Most AAA's are about 1-1.5 volts.
A flex driver needs at least 2.5 Volts, However if you want to use a flex drive be sure you don't go over 5.5 volts. If so you need a dummy diode.

jbtm

Yeah...your not going to get 5V off 2AAAs. The only option for that is 9V battery, 5V regulator. Then I'd have solid 5V, if i went with the cheaper Rkcstr driver.

Ill just get the flexdrive. Sounds easy to work with, and sounds like it will run my laser great. Thanks!

Last edited:

Morgan

Hi jbtm and welcome,

AznRice is not quite right here. I think I know where he's coming from but the information is not accurate.

First off, most BR diodes need around 5V to run at whatever current is required for whichever one you have. PHRs for instance have a safe limit up to 120mA as prescribed by Daguin. A RCKSTR driver is a linear driver so it will output a constant current but needs around 2V above that 5V to run the circuit, (I can never remember the exact figures but look here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/micro-drive-laser-driver-rkcstr-22553.html . So you'll need at least 7V+ to run your PHR.

Flexdrives are Boost drivers and can run a BR on much reduced input voltage of around 2.5V, (again, the figures are in the same section, here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/lava-micro-flexdrive-driver-lavadrive2-fits-pens-22502.html ).

Having said this, to build your own is a cinch. This thread has details of the DDL driver, here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/diy-homemade-laser-diode-driver-26339.html. I think the formula for choosing your resistor values is in there too but if it's not then someone will chime in with that. (I think I read this evening that 12.5 ohms gets you close but don't quote me!)

I'm sure you'll find all the info you need in these threads. I reckon you'll build your own first! Then you'll want a driver that fits in the module you have and move on to the preassembled ones.

There are plenty of people who will set drivers up for you, and can supply preinstalled diodes, heatsinks, hosts, the whole shabang. Check out the, 'Buy/Sell/Trade', and, 'Pro Shop', sections for stickies regards sellers.

If you want to set your own drivers you will need a, 'Dummy Test Load'. Do a search for that one, (I can't do it all for you after all! :crackup:), they're not that difficult to build either and you can also find those as kits too.

I hope that's what you need.

M
:)

Last edited: