Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Questions on 5mW Green

Alex

I'm sittin here with my cheap 5mW greenie and it probably dosent have a IR filter

How safe or unsafe is it to use it indoors, i mean that if i shine it away from me at a wall will i still be vulnerable to IR damage

Thanks for any help (still new to lasers)

5mW should be safe for general use anywhere. The IR is probably not significant enough to cause damage. However, if you are concerned, you can fill up a balloon until it is almost ready to burst, draw a black spot on it with a Sharpie, and shine the laser at the black spot from about a foot away. If the balloon doesn't pop after about 5 seconds, you should be safe.

-Mark

Switch

You can fill a glass with coke, shine your laser through it and check with a camera where the laser should be exiting.If you see anything, that's IR. :p

diachi

Switch said:
You can fill a glass with coke, shine your laser through it and check with a camera where the laser should be exiting.If you see anything, that's IR. :p

you can use Vimto too ... and i think you can use red wine .

-Adam

rocketparrotlet said:
5mW should be safe for general use anywhere. The IR is probably not significant enough to cause damage. However, if you are concerned, you can fill up a balloon until it is almost ready to burst, draw a black spot on it with a Sharpie, and shine the laser at the black spot from about a foot away. If the balloon doesn't pop after about 5 seconds, you should be safe.

-Mark
hold on a sec, even a 5mW can pop a balloon because of the IR? thats ridiculous

Alex

Thanks guys,

I'll probably get some IR glasses soon just to be on the safe side

Liberty1992 said:
[quote author=rocketparrotlet link=1225652913/0#1 date=1225656282]5mW should be safe for general use anywhere.  The IR is probably not significant enough to cause damage.  However, if you are concerned, you can fill up a balloon until it is almost ready to burst, draw a black spot on it with a Sharpie, and shine the laser at the black spot from about a foot away.  If the balloon doesn't pop after about 5 seconds, you should be safe.

-Mark
hold on a sec, even a 5mW can pop a balloon because of the IR? thats ridiculous[/quote]

Not likely.

The IR would have to be in excess of 30mW AND focused well. A 5mW (with a true 5mW output) will not likely output that much IR spill. And if it does it wont be collimated well...
5mW of green alone can pop a balloon if focused. It may take a while but it's possible.
You dont need IR goggles for a 5mW green. That's ridiculous.
If you're really that concerned about the insignificant IR spill, install a filter.
Problem solved.

Liberty1992 said:
how long would it take for a 5mW to pop a balloon? I'm guessing a long while

Yes, IF it were a 5mW, you would have to not only hold the dot in one place for a long time, but focus it with optics as well. My point was that if it was outputting a significant amount larger than 5mW, enough to pop a balloon without optics, then there would be cause for concern.

-Mark

rocketparrotlet said:
[quote author=Liberty1992 link=1225652913/0#7 date=1225763919]how long would it take for a 5mW to pop a balloon? I'm guessing a long while

Yes, IF it were a 5mW, you would have to not only hold the dot in one place for a long time, but focus it with optics as well. My point was that if it was outputting a significant amount larger than 5mW, enough to pop a balloon without optics, then there would be cause for concern.

-Mark[/quote]
ah ok, i get it now