Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Questions about powerful lasers *SOLVED*

Re: Questions about powerful lasers

That's about it for non-builders. But for me, I am a laser builder as well, and I like making my hosts, circuits, etc. special and unique. That's what gives me my drive in this hobby. Creating something myself.

I also like creating things, I just wish the result wasn't just, you know, a laser. At least that KipKay butane lighter mod was cool, it was just a bit dangerous to be, you know, poking into peoples faces to light cigarettes. If I could rig up one to be powered by a rechargable battery, and install a USB port on the end of it, I could have laser power just about anywhere, and a reliable fire-starter on top of that. All I'd need was hand-crank power to creating an ignition source. It might not make instantaneous camp fires but it'd be a nice alternative to flint I'd think, so long as you keep your eyes protected that is!

See, that's a smart idea! You could build that!

Well, I'd have a loooot of reading to do. Again, I don't know diddly about wiring things together, especially in a way that won't make things melt down. Along with all the components of the laser, I need to wire in a usb to a battery and make sure that battery won't explode or overcharge if it sits in a usb port for too long. Yikes. You wouldn't happen to have any advice on that would you? I doubt there are any stickies here for making lasers with a usb on it.

Well, I would probably know where to start with that... but it would be tough. Probably first would require taking a flashlight that typically takes two 18650 or 16340 batteries and using a driver (the device that provides constant current to the laser diode) that can drive the diode. Then, in the second battery spot, instead of having another battery, put a circuit that, when activated by the USB, would charge the battery. It probably wouldn't be a simple circuit, but it would be doable after some googling. You would, of course, have to move the clicky button to the somewhere else because you would want to use the back of the flashlight/laser to be your charging port. That would imply that you would have to install a USB port into the back.

It would be doable, but I am not sure it's been done here before.

Maybe I'll make that a long-term goal. That's ultimately what I'd love to have out of it, essentially an unending source of heat strong enough to ignite brush or leaves. I have a lot of hand-crank accessories, so I think that would work out pretty well.

Anyways, I think we can consider this thread closed unless you have anything else to add. Once again, you folks have been very helpful in educating me. I think if I have any further issues, I'll start a new thread in the appropriate forum about a more specific problem after doing some research.

Said he can't use poison because of the pets.

Yes. Xouls avatar is an actual picture of the permanent injury to his retina.

This:

Please note the safety glasses shown in the first few seconds, I am wearing them the entire time while shooting the video.
what is with the Gay Elephant telling me my isp provider???