Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Questions about Osram PLTB450B

Hi,

So, this will be my first build. I am planning to do a Survival Laser Bargain host bundle with an Osram PLTB450B. I want to choose the 530mA driver, so I get used to the power, and later upgrade it to something like 1A.
Thing is, i saw DTR's power test and at 0.5A it says it is using 4.6V. So, I'm confused if I should use 1 18650 or 2 18350s:thinking:. Can somebody tell me?

Eracoy

Assuming you mean the driver listed here, it is a "buck" type driver. That is, it will lower the voltage of the output until no more than the correct current is passing through the diode. This means that an input voltage higher than 4.6V is required to get regulated current. So yes, this would mean you need two lithium cells. If you wanted to drive it off of one cell, you would need a "boost" type driver. These work by taking an input voltage smaller than the desired regulated voltage and boosting it to regulate the current. These require only one 3.7V cell.

Last edited:
Eracoy mostly aswered everything.generall rule with diodes and drivers is as long as you get the right driver and input voltage then you don't have to worry about the output voltage,just focus on the current.
the driver will adjust the voltage to get the output current you set it to

Hi,
You can run that PLTB450B at 1.8A and it will give out over 2+W,s with a G2 lens . That’s were I run all my PLTB450B diodes. And yes as the guys said a bucking driver XDrive at 1.8A and two lithium ion cells. That diode is very efficient love them

Rich:)

diachi

Assuming you mean the driver listed here, it is a "buck" type driver. That is, it will lower the voltage of the output until no more than the correct current is passing through the diode. This means that an input voltage higher than 4.6V is required to get regulated current. So yes, this would mean you need two lithium cells. If you wanted to drive it off of one cell, you would need a "boost" type driver. These work by taking an input voltage smaller than the desired regulated voltage and boosting it to regulate the current. These require only one 3.7V cell.

To add, generally speaking, drivers have what's called a "dropout" voltage, which is the minimum voltage difference between your input and your output. So you couldn't for example use 4.7V with your 4.6V diode.

For example, an LM317 in current mode will have a dropout voltage of ~2.5V above the load voltage. So if you have a diode running at 4.6V you need 7.1V input. :beer:

Drivers will usually specify this somewhere.

That said, 2x lithium cells will provide more than enough voltage. :)

Thanks everyone for the replies, but I'm not sure if I will get it at all. My dad doesn't like the idea of me having a class 4 laser. Might just get another green 303 and safety goggles from Sanwu and be careful to prove that I am responsible with lasers. That thing had a really visible beam indoors.

Last edited:

Eracoy

There is no point in getting anything that you would be uncomfortable with. Or, in this case, what you factor in of your parents' opinion. There are still plenty of cool laser experiments to do without a multi-watt diode. Also, the brightness of green adds to its appeal per watt. Just be careful to note that even if your green is IR shielded and reasonably to-spec, it is still capable of damaging ungoggled eyes. Take the time to enjoy the beam with care and see if you really need something like this 2W blue or beyond.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the safety goggles on Sanwu aren't slip over, and I wear prescription glasses. I am pretty much blind without them. Are there any cheap slip over goggles available for 532nm?

GSS

Thanks, but the Sanwu goggles CAN be worn over prescription glasses :D. I PM'd Podo about it and he said they can.
Looking at Sanwu's glasses, yes the arms are adjustable but they aren't very comfortable over reading glasses. They aren't molded for the fit which causes "my reading" glasses to shift of my face and without straps the safety glasses have fallen of my head..
Unless you have a small head and wear small glasses you just might have issue's..