Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question regarding Rechargeable batteries

Hi all, i'm new here.(New to lasers too)
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.
Anyway, i recently bought a laser pointer.
I'm planning to use it for a long time, so i bought some NimH rechargeables.
However, i just realized that the rechargeables are 1.2v, while the alkalines that i usually use are 1.5v.
Will this affect my lasers output greatly?

Help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Sean~

no, the driver in the laser will limit the output, so there shouldnt be much of a problem, unless the driver needs a certain amount of voltage. the nimh batteries most likely have a higher capacity, though, and will last longer on one charge then fresh despensable alkalines will. wat type of laser is it? diy, pen, flashlight style? how many batts does it use?

The laser is a 95mW Infiniti(Pen laser) from Techlasers(I've heard some say its Wickedlasers, but the 199.99 package for capset+laser+ safety glasses was too tempting :p)
Uses 2x AAAs.
So far, the laser seems to be working great.

Benm

It should be fine - laser pointers are quite heavy loads, reducing the voltage of alkalines to about the same level als the NiMH's in practical operation. A nice thing is that power stays more constant over the life of a nimh, since it voltage doesnt drop off as quickly as an alkalines.

Funny - I was going to ask a similar question regarding rechargeable "D's" in my Hercules 350 (which WOO HOO is "Out for Delivery" with UPS as we speak!) ...

I'm assuming the draw of a 2.5w pump diode along with the load from the fan cooling in the Herc is going to make for short battery life anyhow, and the external power input on the herc is 3.6v to begin with - I'd just hate to mess up a $2200 Laser, ya know?

I was counting on the old addage that most rechargeables are underrated as to voltage, my 3.6v Juice CR2's read between 4.1-4.2v at full charge as my 10440's from DX are 4 even at full, so that should (in theory at least) give me an actual 1.45-1.6 with the "D's".

@BrewCity
You can't really compare Lithiums with NiMH batteries, the internal chemistry is totally different. However, in any rechargables there will be a great degree of variation - I've measured on a "1.5v" battery between 0 and over 1.8v. That's what drivers are for, though.