Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question jetlasers ple pro 532 nm 400mw

diachi

Looks to be on the high side, hard to say for sure without measurements.

Can you give us the following?

Beam diameter at aperture.
Beam diameter at the wall.
Distance from aperture to the wall.

You'll want to have the beam pointing straight at the wall, having it at an angle will skew the results.

From that we can calculate the divergence and compare it with the divergence specified by JL. :beer:

Looks to be on the high side, hard to say for sure without measurements.

Can you give us the following?

Beam diameter at aperture.
Beam diameter at the wall.
Distance from aperture to the wall.

You'll want to have the beam pointing straight at the wall, having it at an angle will skew the results.

From that we can calculate the divergence and compare it with the divergence specified by JL. :beer:
unfortunately now I can not. later I measure.

Encap

tell me whether there should be such a divergence of the ray.?
https://youtu.be/K7L2AUwgyMw

Did you focus it to best possible focus/smallest dot, using the focusing collar at the front of the unit?
Beam diameter at aperture is focus adjustable on PL-E Pro

Send the video link to Gray at JetLasers and ask the manufacturer and most knowledgeable expert--Gray give the best customer service of anyone in the business and will be sure to answer you.

Email him at : jetlasers@gmail.com

Last edited:
Did you focus it to best possible focus/smallest dot, using the focusing collar at the front of the unit?
Beam diameter at aperture is focus adjustable on PL-E Pro

Send the video link to Gray at JetLasers and ask the manufacturer and most knowledgeable expert--Gray give the best customer service of anyone in the business and will be sure to answer you.

Email him at : jetlasers@gmail.com

yes this is the smallest point of focus. Thank you.

Good point, didn't realize that. :beer:

Smallest point at the wall? Smallest point of focus at the aperture end would result in a high divergence.

I understand this I'm not quite stupid. I want a narrow beam and a small dot. It's just a flashlight and not a laser.

I'm not sure what for jetlasers is normal. advise me a laser of about 500mw with the least divergence of the beam. as on cheap lasers with ebay

Last edited:

Encap

I understand this I'm not quite stupid. I want a narrow beam and a small dot. It's just a flashlight and not a laser.
It is far away from being a flashlight but I know what you mean---there is no laser that has zero divergence and hand held lasers are never going to match lab types beam specs.

Even with 1mRad divergence and a 1mm beam at aperture the dot will increase in size 1mm for every meter--so would 11mm at 10 meters.

Email Gray at JetLasers as I mentioned--is the best thing to do--email jetlasers@gmail.com

Nobody here can do anything about it?

If you are not happy with the purchased JetLasers laser --am certain Gray will be happy to allow you to return it for testing & repair or exchange, or refund depending on what the situation is.

JetLasers and Gray actually care and want only happy customers who feel they received something of value that they enjoy for the hard earned money spent. Gray will do whatever it takes to have a happy satisfied customer.

Last edited:
It is far away from being a flashlight but I know what you mean---there is no laser that has zero divergence and hand held lasers are never going to match lab types beam specs.

Even with 1mRad divergence and a 1mm beam at aperture the dot will increase in size 1mm for every meter--so would 11mm at 10 meters.

Email Gray at JetLasers as I mentioned--is the best thing to do--email jetlasers@gmail.com

Nobody here can do anything about it?

If you are not happy with the purchased JetLasers laser --am certain Gray will be happy to allow you to return it for testing & repair or exchange, or refund depending on what the situation is.

JetLasers and Gray actually care and want only happy customers who feel they receive something of value that they enjoy for the hard earned money spent. Gray will do whatever it takes to have a happy satisfied customer.

maybe this is the normal discrepancy for this laser. but not for such a price. I had enough lasers to understand what ray should be. it's better to take 200mw but 1 mrad than this one. I'm very displeased. I hope you understand me.

Encap

maybe this is the normal discrepancy for this laser. but not for such a price. I had enough lasers to understand what ray should be. it's better to take 200mw but 1 mrad than this one. I'm very displeased. I hope you understand me.

But there are no 200mW 1mRad hand held lasers for sale

So tell Gray at JetLasers not LPF about it. There may be something wrong/atypical about the one you have but JetLasers are among the best of the best professional quality hand held lasers on the market.
Gray can probably get you a best possible example but your requirements have to be within possibility and reasonable.

You are never going to get 1mRad in a hand held and not in many lab types for thousands of dollars either
Have a look at all the CNI lab laser 532nm specs here: www.cnilaser.com/green_lasers532.htm

Have a look here at a CNI 400mW 532nm lab laser that is $2128.00 ---it has about the same specs as the JetLasers handheld--Divergence <1.5 mRad Beam diameter: ~ 2mm Jetlasers PL-E Pro Divergence 1.3 mRad beam diameter ~ 2mm
See: https://www.ultralasers.com/proinfo.php?productid=549&cat=3&page=1&featured

Last edited:

What you need to do is go outside during the day an find a poorly reflective surface that is at least 10 meters distant. Adjust the spot on that surface for smallest size. Have a friend help you. Doing this adjustment during daylight eliminates much of the blooming which makes the spot look bigger. I see two spots which would make this laser defective.

But there are no 200mW 1mRad hand held lasers for sale

So tell Gray at JetLasers not LPF about it. There may be something wrong/atypical about the one you have but JetLasers are among the best of the best professional quality hand held lasers on the market.
Gray can probably get you a best possible example but you requirements have to be within possibility and reasonable.

You are never going to get 1mRad in a hand held and not in many lab types for thousands of dollars either
Have a look at all the CNI lab laser 532nm specs here: www.cnilaser.com/green_lasers532.htm

Have a look here at a CNI 400mW 532nm lab laser that is $2128.00 ---it has about the same specs as the JetLasers handheld--Divergence <1.5 mRad Beam diameter: ~ 2mm Jetlasers PL-E Pro Divergence 1.3 mRad beam diameter ~ 2mm
See: https://www.ultralasers.com/proinfo.php?productid=549&cat=3&page=1&featured
It's easy to make a laser with lower beam divergence. I dont know why it's not done.

the distance is exactly 5 meters
left laser 303. right of the jetlasers. both are set to the smallest point. I think powerful lasers can not do or it's very difficult to make a small beam divergence?

Last edited:
the distance is exactly 5 meters
left laser 303. right of the jetlasers. both are set to the smallest point. I think powerful lasers can not do or it's very difficult to make a small beam divergence?

When I see a member post they adjusted the beam to the smallest spot possible, I always wonder if they focused the beam to converge into a small point, or whether the beam is at infinity focus. I'd adjust the beam shooting into the night sky for the least divergence possible to make sure it is set to infinity focus, then measure the spot size but through laser glasses. A high power laser pointer can cause the photo to bloom around the edges, as well as your eye, to make the spot appear to be much wider than it really is. You did this with your laser glasses for the video so we could see the true spot, that spot was big, larger than i would expect.

steve001: It's easy to make a laser with lower beam divergence. I dont know why it's not done.

My thought the reasons why are; most people want to see that skinny, high power density, bright beam coming out of the aperture. Also, larger diameter collimation lenses cost more. As you well know, stating for the newbies, the smaller the collimation lens, the greater the divergence.

Last edited:
When I see a member post they adjusted the beam to the smallest spot possible, I always wonder if they focused the beam to converge into a small point, or whether the beam is at infinity focus. I'd adjust the beam shooting into the night sky for the least divergence possible to make sure it is set to infinity focus, then measure the spot size but through laser glasses. A high power laser pointer can cause the photo to bloom around the edges, as well as your eye, to make the spot appear to be much wider than it really is. You did this with your laser glasses for the video so we could see the true spot, that spot was big, larger than i would expect.
Thank you. but I only have 2 hands :) I realized that the laser is fine. but it has a big ray. in the future I will look for the smallest divergence of the ray.