Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question for Aussies...

You should just go the classic MXDL design people use :)

They have the mount and the switch and everything set up. All you need is a heatsink from jayrob, a good driver, and a diode in a aixiz module. Stick it all together and you're done :)

That's what I'll be doing after my Sonar cases run out :) Though I'd like to look at some smaller designs ;)

daguin said:
[quote author=freshert link=1216465726/0#13 date=1216479611]Thanks for the confidence boost Murudai. Daguin lets hope people buy my lasers in the first place :-[

Heres a little diagram of how I think i should make the laser. If there are any improvements I can make to it please tell me!

You should add some heat sinking to the module.  Blu-rays don't produce as much heat as reds, but heat is the number one killer of diodes (after IgorT <snerk>)

Also get some feedback from someone more knowledgeable about how long a "regular" 9V will last.  They are not used much, so I am assuming that how long they last is an issue.  I use 10440's in my lasers that use the Rkcstr driver.

Peace,
dave

Peace,
dave[/quote]
Ok thanks for that. Maybe I could use AA or AAA holders and give 10440's (I think they are AA or AAA sized) along with the laser. Also what can I use as heatsinking? I don't have a lathe so I cant make my own.

Murudai said:
You should just go the classic MXDL design people use :)

They have the mount and the switch and everything set up. All you need is a heatsink from jayrob, a good driver, and a diode in a aixiz module. Stick it all together and you're done :)

That's what I'll be doing after my Sonar cases run out :) Though I'd like to look at some smaller designs ;)
I'm trying to keep the laser at a low price for people to buy, but I may use the MXDL with Jayrob's heatsink.

daguin

freshert said:
Ok thanks for that. Maybe I could use AA or AAA holders and give 10440's (I think they are AA or AAA sized) along with the laser. Also what can I use as heatsinking? I don't have a lathe so I cant make my own.

Do you have or can you get a hacksaw and a drill? For a "box-style" laser all you need is a rectangle of aluminum that will fit inside the box with a hole drilled through it. It doesn't have to be "pretty". No one is going to be looking at it. It does not need to be exposed like the ones I build.

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=freshert link=1216465726/0#18 date=1216480295]

Do you have or can you get a hacksaw and a drill?  For a "box-style" laser all you need is a rectangle of aluminum that will fit inside the box with a hole drilled through it.  It doesn't have to be "pretty".  No one is going to be looking at it.  It does not need to be exposed like the ones I build.

Peace,
dave[/quote]
I can borrow a drill from a family friend. But I don't think I can get a hacksaw... :-/ Do you recommend me use the MXDL, Jayrob's heatsink and rkcstr driver instead of a box? I'm trying to make the lasers with not much trouble so I can do my school work.

Just read Jayrob's thread on his heatsinks and it seems pretty easy to use his heatsink with the MXDL! :) I guess I should use the MXDL since I don't have much of the tools I need to make a heatsink for the box style.

daguin

freshert said:
I can borrow a drill from a family friend. But I don't think I can get a hacksaw... :-/ Do you recommend me use the MXDL, Jayrob's heatsink and rkcstr driver instead of a box? I'm trying to make the lasers with not much trouble so I can do my school work.

If you know someone with a drill, you probably know someone with a hacksaw (metal saw) ;)

I like the MXDL host and Jayrob's heat sinks are to die for. Unfortunately, an MXDL is more expensive than a project box and a Jayrob heat sink is more expensive than a chunk of aluminum (especially when you add shipping to OZ). More importantly, you should build what YOU want to build first. Above all else, enjoy what you are doing. If you go into this thinking you are going to make a living, give it up now. If you can get the hobby to pay for itself, you have got it way over on most of the people in the hobby. Trust me. Your wants are going to quickly exceed your earnings :(

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=freshert link=1216465726/20#21 date=1216480784]I can borrow a drill from a family friend. But I don't think I can get a hacksaw... :-/ Do you recommend me use the MXDL, Jayrob's heatsink and rkcstr driver instead of a box? I'm trying to make the lasers with not much trouble so I can do my school work.

If you know someone with a drill, you probably know someone with a hacksaw (metal saw) ;)

I like the MXDL host and Jayrob's heat sinks are to die for.  Unfortunately, an MXDL is more expensive than a project box and a Jayrob heat sink is more expensive than a chunk of aluminum (especially when you add shipping to OZ).  More importantly, you should build what YOU want to build first.  Above all else, enjoy what you are doing.  If you go into this thinking you are going to make a living, give it up now.  If you can get the hobby to pay for itself, you have got it way over on most of the people in the hobby.  Trust me.  Your wants are going to quickly exceed your earnings :(

Peace,
dave
[/quote]
Yea I know the parts are going to be expensive. I did some math and estimated the total cost to build 3 will 280.10AUD. :eek: Thats 93.37 each. If I sell each one for 180AUD I'll make 259.89 of profit total. I have the money to buy the parts first but then I won't have money to buy green lasers in Australia. My goal in making lasers to sell is to make around $120 for a new laptop battery.

Well after the maths I guess I'll make box lasers. (I know I change my mind a lot, I don't know why :-[) BTW when you say metal saw do you mean the ones that cut trees? Because I've got one in the garage.

daguin

freshert said:
Yea I know the parts are going to be expensive. I did some math and estimated the total cost to build 3 will 280.10AUD. :eek: Thats 93.37 each. If I sell each one for 180AUD I'll make 259.89 of profit total. I have the money to buy the parts first but then I won't have money to buy green lasers in Australia. My goal in making lasers to sell is to make around $120 for a new laptop battery.

Well after the maths I guess I'll make box lasers. (I know I change my mind a lot, I don't know why :-[) BTW when you say metal saw do you mean the ones that cut trees? Because I've got one in the garage.

I'm not sure what it is called in Australia. A "hacksaw" is used to cut metal. It has a thin blade with small teeth that are set very closely together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacksaw

Using hand tools is certainly more work, but the profit goes up with that extra effort.

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
[quote author=freshert link=1216465726/20#24 date=1216484143]

I'm not sure what it is called in Australia.  A "hacksaw" is used to cut metal.  It has a thin blade with small teeth that are set very closely together.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacksaw

Using hand tools is certainly more work, but the profit goes up with that extra effort.

Peace,
dave
[/quote]
Ok thanks for all your help and the link! I remember seeing a "hacksaw" when I was around 10 years old at my house. I'll ask my mum if she remembers where she put it. Also if I sell box styles which use 10440 batteries, should I give the batteries and charger along with the laser of not? It doesn't matter to me because I could just increase the price and say "Batteries and charger included! No need to wait for DX to ship you batteries, you'll be able to use the laser as soon as it gets to your doorstep!"

BTW are there any washers I can use instead of making my own heatsinks? Since I didn't do metal work or wood work at school (I never got anything done because everybody hogged all the equipment so I quit) I don't have any experience with cutting or drilling metal.

I think if you're doing a box you miles well go with 14500's (aa sized) instead of 10440's (aaa sized). Better capacity and there's space for them in the box.

And if you want you could thermal-compound a big washer, small washer, big washer, small washer and then you'd have one of these! :D

gallery15.jpg

man, I'm thinking up awesome ideas for someone who's up at 3 in the morning.

daguin

freshert said:
Ok thanks for all your help and the link! I remember seeing a "hacksaw" when I was around 10 years old at my house. I'll ask my mum if she remembers where she put it. Also if I sell box styles which use 10440 batteries, should I give the batteries and charger along with the laser of not? It doesn't matter to me because I could just increase the price and say "Batteries and charger included! No need to wait for DX to ship you batteries, you'll be able to use the laser as soon as it gets to your doorstep!"

I ALWAYS include a fully charged set of batteries with my lasers. I cannot imagine the frustration at getting your new "blu-burner" in the mail and then having to wait another seven days for the batteries to arrive. :mad:

Including the charger is a nice touch because (like the 10440's) they are not readily available. Most people love "one-stop shopping."

Peace,
dave

VillageIdiot said:
I think if you're doing a box you miles well go with 14500's (aa sized) instead of 10440's (aaa sized). Better capacity and there's space for them in the box.

I agree. Go with the best power source that you can (within the restrictions of the "feel" of the unit).

Peace,
dave