Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about modifying an ebay laser

I recently ordered a 405nm and 5mW laser off of ebay and found a 200 mW driver for 405nm lasers on another site. I was wondering what would happen if I were to change the drivers. Obviously the laser would be more powerful (Which means the battery would drain faster), but would it damage the diode or any such thing? I don't plan on using the laser for more than 30 seconds at a time.

I only ask because I don't want to spend 100$ on a laser that I can put together for 30-40$

sinner

Diodes are rated at a particular output, which means if you try to increase the current, the power will not increase at the same magnitude but rather kill the diode due to excessive current than it could handle.
So if you plan to change the driver, you should also change the diode..

If you want to make a 405nm laser to replace the one you purchased, it's not hard at all either. Just get an LM-317, a 10 ohm 2W resistor, a PHR diode, module and 9volt battery. Solder here and there and it's good, at about 100mW of power.