Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about 9mm IR diode...

I really hoped someone would say that. i watched a couple of videos on youtube and there appeared to be no FAC lens... that will make it cheaper, if i ever find some crystals that are within
my budget! whats the difference between nd:yag and nd:yvo4?
will this lens work to collimate the multimode diode?

PRECISION PCX CYLINDRICAL LENS 20MM X 12MM X 20MM FL - Surplus Shed

Thank you everyone for you help so far :D .
For the most part, yes, that will collimate it. However it will still be a large rectangular beam. Multimodes will take a few different optics (that I'm not sure what they are) to get a nice beam out of it.

I believe Nd:YVO4 is more efficient? Not exactly sure myself lol :p

:D i don't mind that its a rectangular beam, thats what i was expecting... but what do you mean by large? I'm itching to use this laser, although to be honest with you, i am a little frightened of it, as its barely visible... but thats what the goggles are for :p.
Thanks!

:D i don't mind that its a rectangular beam, thats what i was expecting... but what do you mean by large? I'm itching to use this laser, although to be honest with you, i am a little frightened of it, as its barely visible... but thats what the goggles are for :p.
Thanks!
Large compared to DPSS or single mode beams. Say 6-8mm wide or so? Not sure precisely. I don't do multimodes so my knowledge is limited :p

oh, that is big, there must be a way of making a tighter beam. i gues 6mm isn't too bad, as there will be 1W of light :-D. 3mm would be better though, i'm more worried that i won't be able to collimate the laser with the lenses i have found, probably end up focusing it instead :-(.

HIMNL9

For green, some high power cavities uses collimation before the crystals, for increase the efficency, but the usual modules not ..... they just align the polarization of the diode with the crystal and place the crystal assembly nearest the possible to the crystal .....

i don't think i will be building a dpss laser anytime soon, im new to multimode diodes as it is and i lack on knowledge of all the different optics, i thought that building a dpss would be just a matter of buying a 808nm laser (which i have) a couple of crystals, a cylindrical lens and your away. then i click a link that was something like.
" so your building a dpss laser" or something like that and it completly burst my bubble lol.
especially when it started going on about HR and AR coated optics, it all started sounding rather complex and expensive.
Thanks for the help :-D