Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Quastions about DLs Aurora 589nm 5mw

Repped.

This is the truth IMO. The brightness of a 5mW 532nm is the basis by which I judge all other lasers. I neither want nor need anything significantly brighter than that. A "<5mW" 589 that's kicking out 15mW or so would be all I ever need!

Not all of us want to scorch our retinas out of existence if there's an accident. I actually find my new 50mW 635 red to be annoyingly bright. Oh well.

Haha, thanks!

I used to like <5mW lasers but I've now moved up to more powerful ones. While powerful lasers are good for beam viewing along with experiments, there is always that fear of danger :(

-Alex

joeyss

Agree with LeHap. The Aurora is a classy pen although bang for buck is the Spartan;)

Yes mine only draws 1.8 amps and it makes my hand feel warm and it burns better then my 56mw red which was metered I'd go for it. Its amazing to see that much yellow-amber it feels relaxing.

No but seriously, back to the OP's question.... does anyone have any experience with the 589 Aurora? I know of the one that c0ld used to have all those years ago and it seemed to be great, but IIRC that came directly from CNI.

I'm thinking about dropping coin on one of these in a week or two, but I'm apprehensive after the power scandal from DL a few years ago. Otherwise though, my experiences with DL have all been positive.

No but seriously, back to the OP's question.... does anyone have any experience with the 589 Aurora? I know of the one that c0ld used to have all those years ago and it seemed to be great, but IIRC that came directly from CNI.

I'm thinking about dropping coin on one of these in a week or two, but I'm apprehensive after the power scandal from DL a few years ago. Otherwise though, my experiences with DL have all been positive.

589nm's are more stable when compared to their 593.5nm brother. I used to have a 593.5nm pen and it never "went green" on me, and that's coming from the more finicky process. Seeing how much progress has been done with yellow lasers you shouldn't have any problems with a 593.5nm pen, much less a 589nm one :)

-Alex

Dragon Lasers is a good company. Yes a few have had under spec 50mW Spartans but currently they have stood by the last reposted under spec 589. These 589's are CNI lasers and usually over spec. Personally, I would feel confident ordering this laser from DL.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've had my finger off of the pulse of the hobby for a long time, and I'm trying to figure out what's going to. To be honest, the fact that there even WAS a scandal with a CNI product was utterly shocking to me. It's good to know that the issues are being handled. :)

I wouldn't call it a scandal. Just an under spec laser and a company giving a couple people the run around. But when you read the many happy buyers you can get a feel that the majority of the time they stand by their products, and I think they saw that the business they lost from not doing the right thing wasn't worth keeping a persons money. I was happy to see the last under spec 589 Spartan was replaced with A properly working one. I have recently bought a few items from Dragon Lasers and it was a very good experience.

My experience is good as well! But when I'm considering dropping several hundred dollars on something like this, I like to be sure. :)

hmmm, DL's range of products is getting out of stock. hulk&co arent available at all.
CNI refuses to send lp+hls to europe and ger in particular. honestly all those online shops are evolving backwards. WL already become dull years ago. nothing new, and prices are not moving down anymore. browsing and purchasing lasershops just suxxx...

Last edited:
hmmm, DL's range of products is getting out of stock. hulk&co arent available at all.
CNI refuses to send lp+hls to europe and ger in particular. honestly all those online shops are evolving backwards. WL already become dull years ago. nothing new, and prices are not moving down anymore. browsing and purchasing lasershops just suxxx...

Which is precisely why I'm gonna go ahead and get my yellow now, and make sure to take damn good care of it. If I break it, I imagine that I may never be able to get another!