Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pushing 1A and higher in 18650 DX hosts ?

Has anybody heard, or experienced any negative results. In using some of the 18650 hosts from DX.
I remember MarioMaster was having some issues when he was pushing for 1+A.
In Grix's diode chart, most of the members pushing currents higher the 1A are using lab units.
In my next build I'm going for 1W. So if I need 1.2A I'm going to give it 1.2A. My concern is not the heatsinking, that will be fine. I'm worried about the switch burning up, thats a lot of current flowing through that sucker.

Thanks

It will be fine.
Mariomaster's switches were melting because the spring was too long and was shorting against the host :p

daguin

MarioMaster's problem stemmed from the spring in the tail cap of his Kryton being too long. It was pushing over to the side and shorting the battery. This caused the spring and along with it the plastic switch housing to overheat and melt the plastic.

I have used several DX style hosts and continue to use a Kryton with the plastic switch with no problems

Peace,
dave

On some long springs, I add some heatshrink plus a rubber grommet to center the spring. On high current portables, I like to keep the wires, springs short to reduce the losses.

HMike

I'm running my 18650 cree (jayrob kit) at >1A output to diode... when tested the battery draw was 3.05 Amps... haven't experienced any issues with it so far.

Spoz

Im running mine at about 900mA. The heatsink doesn't even make a tight fit with the body (I already had the host and jayrob had to machine it without having the exact host on hand, hence made it slightly smaller to guarantee a fit). Nevertheless, the heat issues aren't as bad as I was expecting. I can get 60 second runs easily without excessive heat. The solid copper just eats it up. IMO batteries will be your biggest limitation.

Does anyone know how hot these can get? How hot do they run in the projector?