Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Purposely looked at 50mw laser...

I recently showed my friend my 1w laser. He pointed it at a distance and when he looks at the beam he says it hurts his eyes so i gave him laser glasses. Yet when i look at it with no glasses,it doesn't feel blinding or doesnt hurt me when i look at it closely. I believe I have been slightly eye damaged, yet you guys may be right about the eye compensating the fix. Anyways if I was to go to an eye doctor he would tell me what I already know. So I see now that i am affected and i answered my question.thx guys for some insightful information.

Encap

I recently showed my friend my 1w laser. He pointed it at a distance and when he looks at the beam he says it hurts his eyes so i gave him laser glasses. Yet when i look at it with no glasses,it doesn't feel blinding or doesnt hurt me when i look at it closely. I believe I have been slightly eye damaged, yet you guys may be right about the eye compensating the fix. Anyways if I was to go to an eye doctor he would tell me what I already know. So I see now that i am affected and i answered my question.thx guys for some insightful information.

Study, know, and understand the laser hazard safety chart --save yourself the agony of eyes that no longer can see sometime after 60yrs old because of playing with lasers as a kid and the high powered laser light "didn't effect your vision/eyesight" See:http://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/Laser-hazard-distance-chart.pdf

Do youself a favor and additionally expplore this at this outstanding web site---much to learn there : Laser Pointer Safety - FAQ

Last edited:

GSS

I have no idea as to what your getting at? All I see is that you graduated from looking into a 50mw laser to looking into a 1W. How do you know what the doctor will say. I have to ask this are you for real? If by chance you are, this is why the vets hate helping us noobies. Dont ruin it for us who are trying. ??????

this is why the vets hate helping us noobies.

Hey! I don't mind helping people :)

It's just frustrating to see new folks coming in & asking questions which are obviously silly or have already been asked countless times.

-Alex

Last edited:

GSS

Hey! I don't mind helping people :)

It's just frustrating to see new folks coming in & asking questions which are obviously silly or have already been asked countless times.

-Alex
Have to say this Because your one of the many good ones here!:)

Last edited:

Benm

No.. just NO.

Suffering laser injuries does NOT make you less lensitive to subsequent ones. There is no such thing as 'getting use to it', apart from total blindness where it would not really matter any longer as long as the beam doesnt come out of the back end of your skull after prolongued exposure.

I'm not sure if your ignorant, just trolling or serious right here, but stop it in any case.

I really don't mind that much if you want to troll people here, but i do mind the problem that these threads are indexed well by google and people may get the wrong idea when glancing search results related to laser injuries.

You should understand that many people will turn to the internet after an incident. They may google something like 'seeing a black spot after a laser hit' and then somehow end up in a thread where someone says they were okay afterwards. This could discourage them to seek the immediate medical attention they require, expecting the condition to reverse itself. When it doesnt after several days they may be too later to receive the best care and suffer permanent damage that could have been prevented if they sought immediate help.

Reactions: GSS
No.. just NO.

Suffering laser injuries does NOT make you less lensitive to subsequent ones. There is no such thing as 'getting use to it', apart from total blindness where it would not really matter any longer as long as the beam doesnt come out of the back end of your skull after prolongued exposure.

I'm not sure if your ignorant, just trolling or serious right here, but stop it in any case.

I really don't mind that much if you want to troll people here, but i do mind the problem that these threads are indexed well by google and people may get the wrong idea when glancing search results related to laser injuries.

You should understand that many people will turn to the internet after an incident. They may google something like 'seeing a black spot after a laser hit' and then somehow end up in a thread where someone says they were okay afterwards. This could discourage them to seek the immediate medical attention they require, expecting the condition to reverse itself. When it doesnt after several days they may be too later to receive the best care and suffer permanent damage that could have been prevented if they sought immediate help.

Very good point Benm, I too think mikeylee25 is just trolling, but he could be mentally challenged or have some brain dysfunction that would allow him to look down a laser without blinking, either way I suggest that mikeylee25 never touch a laser again without a responsible adult watching over him and he should go straight to the eye doctor as soon as possible.
After all we are not talking about a momentary exposure but an intentional act of blatant stupidity that could blind a person permanently.
I agree that I would hate for someone to ignore a possible injury but then again I wouldn't want people to think if they see someone pointing out a constellation with a pointer that their children are in imminent danger.
It's trolls and idiots combined with mass stupidity and ignorance that make for a difficult situation so considering that mikeylee25 has already received the benefit of our advice perhaps the moderator will want to delete this thread?

Last edited:
I have no idea as to what your getting at? All I see is that you graduated from looking into a 50mw laser to looking into a 1W. How do you know what the doctor will say. I have to ask this are you for real? If by chance you are, this is why the vets hate helping us noobies. Dont ruin it for us who are trying. ??????
I didnt stare at the beam of a 1w laser, not that crazy, i was implying just looking at the dot.

mikeylee is definitely making this up. Just sit back and look at what he's saying.
This is a forum of discussion, i didnt realize that people troll in this forum. All in all of seriosity, im serious. No im not mentally challenged etc. Im merely stating my experience. If you dont want me to ask questions in a forum specifically for questions and safety, please tell me to stop

This is a forum of discussion, i didnt realize that people troll in this forum. All in all of seriosity, im serious. No im not mentally challenged etc. Im merely stating my experience. If you dont want me to ask questions in a forum specifically for questions and safety, please tell me to stop

In your case, stop.
We don't believe you.

Benm

After all we are not talking about a momentary exposure but an intentional act of blatant stupidity that could blind a person permanently.

This is what worries me too, as there are some many stupid things kids try online, like the cinnamon challenge and such (which could end fatally though that's rare).

Shining a laser into your eye is as stupid as looking down the barrel of a gun to see if the bullets get lodged in there somewhere when you fire it, with the downside that you'd have to live with eye damage for a rest of a life that would last significantly longer.

Genuine laser accidents do happen obviously, such as getting hit by a reflection from a window pane or something like that. The effects of those can be highly variable and are worth discussing. Looking directly into a laser however, falls in the category 'would jamming a fork in my eye be bad for me'. If you genuinly wonder, please stay away from forks, lasers, and seek refuge in a rubber room.

He sent me a lovely visitor message :)

Holy cow, this dude went crazy. That might be permanent ban material right there. Lol. Mikey, you realize that you are the one who came to a forum to tell everyone about how you purposely stared into a 50mW laser, right? With all the names you called him and the way you kept telling him he "thinks he knows everything", I must politely ask you to take a step back and look at yourself. With your remaining eyeball. ;)

Let me tell you if you looked into any sort of green laser rated for 50mw for 5 seconds, you would have blatantly obvious vision problems. I know, first hand!

I haven't said this on the forums cause I'm embarrassed by my stupidity, but I was accidentally flashed, for way less than a second, by a 532nm laser 303, probably outputting the same as any other cheap Chinese laser, and I still have a dot in the center of my vision in my right eye. That was a super short time, but it did permanent, irreversible damage.

Unless your freinds laser had an IR filter and was WAY under spec, then that laser would have done obvious, permanent vision damage, and you would know it's there.

If you are telling the truth, don't make any more mistakes. You wont get a second chance with a 1w laser.