Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pulsed yag

Me having fun with my new big mean PSU for pulsed lasers and the SSY1 yag head.
The psu is meant for a bigger YAG head that is shown in the beginning of the video, but that one still refuses to lase, so I decided to have some fun with my old and small but trusty ssy1.

YouTube - Pulsed ND:Yag laser / ssy1 revisited

Last edited:

diachi

Me having fun with my new big mean PSU for pulsed lasers and the SSY1 yag head.
The psu is meant for a bigger YAG head that is shown in the beginning of the video, but that one still refuses to lase, so I decided to have some fun with my old and small but trusty ssy1.

YouTube - Pulsed ND:Yag laser / ssy1 revisited

Very nice ! SSY1s are smaller than I thought !

As for the other YAG, have you aligned the mirrors, checked the lamps etc ?

The lamp should be fine, I can get it to trigger, it's probably the mirrors that are not properly aligned. I tried a few times with a HeNe laser but I'm probably doing something wrong.

BTW, my ssy1 beam profile on the view plate looks quite bad, It's something wrong with the OC mirror. I have another OC mirror that is too thick to fit but if I hand hold it in place of the original mirror I get a nice round beam on the plate.

The larger yag should be even more fun and will probably blast holes in thin things (razor blades, etc..)

The plan is to eventually add a passive q-switch to it, polarizer and a KTP.

Very nice ! SSY1s are smaller than I thought !

As for the other YAG, have you aligned the mirrors, checked the lamps etc ?

Can these short pulses blind you? Do you have to wear googels? (I know stupid question but these pulses seem to be short and strong :p)
Thanks
game-genie

diachi

Can these short pulses blind you? Do you have to wear googels? (I know stupid question but these pulses seem to be short and strong :p)
Thanks
game-genie

Yes they can. The peak powers from these pulses can reach upwards of several kW. The last SSY-1 power reading I saw was 3kW per pulse with a full charge.

They definitely can be.. but they're also a TON of fun. I'm an even bigger fan of the Hughes pulsed ruby tank rangefinder from the M60.. Just like the SSY, basically, but with a visible beam.. good times.

^ Ive seen a video of that one!
Whats the price for that unit? I´m getting interested in pulsed lasers here :p

yep, I have on my to do list to get a ruby laser eventually :)

I think they used to be dirt cheap some time ago, too bad they are not officially allowed outside US; same as ssy1, I had to pay quite a bit to get my hands on one.

but, yags/pulsed yags can also get visible beams, just not straight out of them :)

Edits:
they are cheap if you live in US, about 130-150$ for one SSY1, just keep in mind, the power supply is lethal if you make a mistake. You can stick two fingers in a power socket and walk away from it, but if 100jouls discharge in your body you will have a hole in your skin or if it gets discharged across your heart will just die, there is not even a maybe about it.

Oh, and did I mention they can blind you? :)

Last edited:
^ First i cannot get moutain dew here than i couldnt find any KFC and now there are no cheap lasers in my country ò_ó
I think I first have to read a little bit about this topic, then i can go on ^^

diachi

The video on youtube of the pulsed flash lamp pumped ruby is supposed to be 1MW per pulse. Must say, I DO WANT a Hughes rangefinder laser. Hard to find over here though.

The one in the Ammo case on youtube was built when the guy was 14 - he's a member on PL .