Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pulsed vs constant?

Hey guys! So I have always been fascinated by pulse lasers for no particular reason. Is there many differences? I plan on making my own pulse laser just because I like them but is there any practical resons why pulsed may be better?

Can't help you much there, but as far as I know the cheap pulsed lasers are simply an on-off switch on the driver, it's not actually compounding the stimulated emission for peak outputs. Could be a cool effect use or something :beer: good luck

if by pules you mean q-switch, then the difference will be a significantly more amount of power. kind of a cool example is this video here. go to about 3:05 for a simple explanation of what a q-switch does, then go to 8:50 for him turning on the q-switch. I cant imagine you will build something to this magnitude right away, but hey, shoot for the stars :D

good luck!

I have always been fascinated by pulse lasers

Could you be more specific? There are many different laser mediums, pulse shapes, durations, frequencies, duty cycles... most of it isn't differentiated from CW visibly, so what is it about them you like? I hope it's not just the word "pulsed."

Last edited:
No I mean literatly pulsed. Like x amount of nano seconds between bursts. I faintly recall hearing you can lower the output through pulsing. A good way to check cheap lasers is to wave it side to side. If you get dots rather then lines chances are its pulsing.

No it's not just the word lol. I don't know. I just like them. Some people just like dogs and not cats. Vice versa. I love any laser but a pulsed one is just interesting to me.

Well if you're talking like a nanosecond pulsed laser or shorter, then most likely each pulse will have very high output powers

well you can pulse a laser for a number of reasons. In the case of a pointer, its usually just to conserve power and to increase its stability and keep the components in the cavity cooler. Others are Q-switched and water cooled for fast pulses that are brief, but far above what the laser would be capable of running continuously.

Thank you that explains it better. Just for cooler components and longer battery life. Can it be used to lower a lasers output?

I think it's better for you to make your own pulsed laser, it will fulfilled your requirement and the good thing is you are used to this laser so it will be good for you.

I know on my 4mode laser 50% and 5% mode are pulsed. So I would think you just need that driver to lower the output by pulsing.

SJMoG.jpg

Sounds like you just made that up. I've never seen a pulsed DPSS pointer anway, except for some really old blues.

In the case of your DPSS handhelds--

Peak pulse power is generally higher than CW power. Slightly more stored energy can make a monumental difference. DPSS wants the highest input power as possible-- which pulsed often supplies more. Though it's not entirely relevant for pen lasers as the pulse duration isn't short enough to supply a more constant peak.

Another good thing about pulsed is the duty cycle being longer. With these odd DPSS processes (and considering you purchased it as a POINTER) the duty cycle is very necessary. A way to extend that is pulsing the laser. (It is, after all, spending more time in the OFF state)

Though, I wouldn't say it grants longer battery life. Maybe very slightly, but nothing anybody would take notice to.

Last edited: