Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Projector for HUGE logo on my balcony?

Hello, I'm wanting to get a projector I can use on my balcony to project an extremely large logo/stencil onto the ceiling, and maybe even cover up some of the window and project onto that as well.

Here are my constraints: The distance from the projector to the projection will only be about 7 or 8 ft (due to being on a balcony), and the projection itself would need to be about 12 ft wide and around 5 ft tall.

Does anyone know of a laser projector that could do this? Ideally it would be an outdoor projector since it will be on the balcony, but price is a factor so I could probably weatherproof it if need be. From what I've seen, I'm thinking some kind of Gobo could work well, but I have no idea.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, I'm new to the laser pointer world. Thanks!

Last edited:

diachi

Hello, I'm wanting to get a projector I can use on my balcony to project an extremely large logo/stencil onto the ceiling, and maybe even cover up some of the window and project onto that as well.

Here are my constraints: The distance from the projector to the projection will only be about 7 or 8 ft (due to being on a balcony), and the projection itself would need to be about 12 ft wide and around 5 ft tall.

Does anyone know of a laser projector that could do this? Ideally it would be an outdoor projector since it will be on the balcony, but price is a factor so I could probably weatherproof it if need be. From what I've seen, I'm thinking some kind of Gobo could work well, but I have no idea.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated, I'm new to the laser pointer world. Thanks!

That's awful wide for a laser projector to manage at such a short distance - at least at any scan rate good enough for graphics. You'd need a fast and beefy set of galvos to manage it and even then it'd be a stretch. That's a scan angle of around 70 degrees on the wider axis assuming a 12ft wide graphic at 8ft from the "screen".

Would something like a short throw video projector work?

Edit: For example - DT-40 Pro scanners (Which are decent scanners) are rated at 40kpps @ 8 degrees with 3mm mirrors. Throw the 5mm mirrors on there and that goes down to 6 degrees. Maximum scan angle is 60 degrees but that's going to be at a slow scan rate. For graphics you want to be running at least 30kpps to eliminate flicker from the image - these aren't going to do anywhere near 70 degrees at that speed.

I don't think even the top of the line scanners ($$$$, not just $$$ like the DTs) can manage that high an angle at that high a scan rate.

Last edited:
Yes the short throw projector is probably much more in line with what I'm looking for, I wasn't aware of those - thank you for telling me.

I've been looking at them for the past couple hours and am thinking this one will do the job I need: Amazon.com: ViewSonic PJD5353LS LightStream XGA Short Throw Projector HDMI: Electronics

The XGA version is $77 cheaper than WXGA. Considering I'll just be using it to display a logo, can I get away with the XGA version? Or do I need the WXGA since I'm going for such a wide display (12'x5')?

we talk about both Laser projectors as well as gthe 'other' kind here- I thought you wanted laser-- as Diachi wrote-- more distance may be needed--w/ laser PJs you can flip the image to allow rear projection on something like a sheet or scrim-and from the front it will be correct-perhaps that will allow you the room to enlarge to the size you want -that may be 'do-able' with the other kind of PJ.

hope you have been helped--hak

Yes I was thinking laser would be best since I want it to be seen from far away. But I also can't spend much more than $500, so I'm thinking a short throw projector will probably be the only way I can afford it right?

Benm

I'm not sure what your setup is like exactly, but is there any option to increase the distance using a mirror? That is placing the projector quite close to the projection, and bouncing it off a mirror on the opposing wall?

You can also work with 45 degree mirrors, for example having the projector on the floor on the far side of the projection, and the mirror on the ceiling at the far side. That gains 2+ meters in most rooms instantly. Obviously you can use 2 45 degree mirrors as well, basically doubling the distance + adding one once the height of the room.

These things can work great if the area is otherwise empty, though at some point the mirrors required get bulky and hard to get flat if you need precision.

you may find a used but low hours kasio a-130 for ~$200 - and later harvest 24 1W 445nm diodes from it.