Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Projecting points

Are there any systems that could be a hobby project that could project a star field using lasers.

Not the kind of star field that is random, by shining light through a filter. But a star field that is calculated and then projected (Like a planetarium)

I want to be able to project about 2,000 points of light per frame, which assuming you are running at 25fps is 50,000 points!! And from what I know Galvos are not good for point graphics, or wide angles as this would need.

can you use rotating mirrors to create a raster style system. using a spinning mirror for lines, and galvo to step the rows?

Or any other ideas / thoughts?

ARG

I think the widest available with DT40W is 90 degrees, and that's as a very low scanning rate.

I don't think it's possible to get 50kpps at planetarium angles, or if you can it's very expensive.

I don't think a spinning mirror and galvo would work, you'd still be limited by the speed of the galvo

Hi, cheers for the reply, I don't want a full 180 degrees but jsut looking for a decent spreed of which 90 would be OK i think.

How often do you need to draw a point with a laser per second, or hold long for each second does it need to be lit to appear constant?

ARG

I've never tested the amount of FPS for an image from a laser projector to appear constant, someone else will have to answer that.

Grix

It'd be expensive, but you could always use several gavlos, like four of them, one for each quadrant of the scanning field.