Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Product idea??

I was outside playing with my star-cap 532nm greenie last night. I pointed it at the only tree in my yard and thought it would make a neat Christmas light display. Kind of like putting Christmas lights in the tree but with lasers:)
All it would take is a small, slow speed motor, to rotate the tip.
Multiple colors/wavelengths could be used simultaneously to add more color to the tree.

I'm not sure how long the diode/crystal set would last, but if the power could be turned down enough, or enough cooling provided, it should last for a season anyway. Or the reverse might be a problem for greenies. (too cold)

**I was going to try this but I just realized my tree is a silver maple and the leaves would be gone by then:eek:**

If someone tried this with some kind of evergreen tree, it should work since it would still have foliage in the winter.

Obviously, battery power would not be a good choice but most Chrstmas decorations are AC powered anyway.

Has this been done already? If it has, I couldn't find it.

With all the people that decorate for Christmas, this might make a good product.

Whatcha think?
Stupid?
Good idea?
Stupid again:)

Rod

Asherz

Cool idea, I think the safest away to go about it would be to have them mounted on the top of a tree, where you would normally put a star or something. You could have 2 of the lasers on a circular mechanism that rotates around, in turn moving the dots and also stopping people from walking in the way of the laser and hurting there eyes.

^^ Thats true about the spectators getting hit but if the power was low enough and care was taken in making sure that the tree was the only thing illuminated, it should be safe.
Now that you mention it, I'm not sure any manufacturer would want the liability.
But who knows? They sell laser pointers all the time:)

Mounting at the top of the tree would definitely be best, but could present problems for the installer:)

Last edited:
Thanks goninanbl00d,
That's pretty close to what I was thinking of, but a bit too pricey for a Christmas decoration, at least in my opinion. I know some people spend thousands on decorations but it's WAY too much money/work for my liking:)

**edit.... I must have messed up somehow. The second listing is only $45.88...It might be worth it and try to weatherproof.**

Plus it would have to be weather resistant for outdoor use.

I'm not really looking to buy something like this. I was just "spinning" ideas in my head and it came to mind since the star-cap pointers are so inexpensive.
Sounds like it might just have to be a DIY project if anybody was interested enough to do it.
:thanks:

Last edited: