Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Problem with Ar-Ion laser. See post 14.

daguin

It is NOT lasing.

Probably, either the mirrors are out of alignment or the gas mixture is bad.

Did the seller give you a "Not DOA" guarantee?

Used gas lasers (especially untested) are a definite gamble.

Peace,
dave

daguin

Then I was kind of right... :D

Absolutely. The light he is seeing is from the argon gas glowing.

I have an argon filled light bulb that glows this color. The rear portion of the Lasos tubes are glass as well. It is a cool color.

Unfortunately, mirror alignment on these is not an easy task. The tube is metal with "hard" (permanent) attached mirrors. At the rear of the housing, there are small threaded holes. You use threaded ceramic rods in these holes to "push" the rear extension of the tube around. People can and do, do this. It ain't easy or free :(

Peace,
dave

DJZ

Then I was kind of right... :D

Sorta/kinda!

I've never had my hands on an argon that I couldn't get to lase, so long as it could sustain discharge. If I remember correctly, you'll see the purple glow with the mirrors installed and a blue glow with the mirrors removed.

The tube is metal with "hard" (permanent) attached mirrors.

Ah, it's doable, just very difficult. You may need to use isolated tools as well.

It's a snap if the mirrors were removeable, remove OC, use a HeNe to align HR, then reattach OC and with a little tweeking you're there.

Last edited:

daguin

Sorta/kinda!

I've never had my hands on an argon that I couldn't get to lase, so long as it could sustain discharge. If I remember correctly, you'll see the purple glow with the mirrors installed and a blue glow with the mirrors removed.

Ah, it's doable, just very difficult. You may need to use isolated tools as well.

It's a snap if the mirrors were removeable, remove OC, use a HeNe to align HR, then reattach OC and with a little tweeking you're there.

Yeah. If the mirrors were not attached to this model JDSU tube, it would be dead ;)

Peace,
dave

Dave --

Do you have a schematic for power control of a Uniphase 2102 PS? I'm driving a Lasos 7872 ML02 Head. I can only switch between idle and full power now.

HMike

daguin

Dave --

Do you have a schematic for power control of a Uniphase 2102 PS? I'm driving a Lasos 7872 ML02 Head. I can only switch between idle and full power now.

HMike

PM me your email addy again. I'll send a copy of the manual if you want/need. IIRC, Chris made changes to the laser connection to use these PSU's with the Laos lasers. The pinout for the Lasos 7872 ML02 is actually the same as the Spectra-Physics 263-A****. However, the pinout for the remote is unchanged. The pinout for the Lasos 7872 ML05 is different.

Peace,
dave

The below is from SAM'S Laser FAQ

Sam's Laser FAQ - Complete Ar/Kr Ion Laser Power Supply Schematics

CU-2201 Remote Wiring

The most common minimal wiring would be:

• Light control using pot on power supply (typical default): Pin 12 connected to pin 13, pin 36 connected to pin 37.
  • Current control using external 10K ohm pot: Pin 23 connected to CCW terminal of pot, pin 25 via 5K ohm resistor connected to CW terminal of pot, pin 6 connected to wiper of pot, pin 36 connected to pin 37.
See below for explanation of each pin's function.
(From: Nick Andrews (nicothefabulous@hotmail.com).)
There is a complete copy at LaserFX Copy of Cyonics/Uniphase Model 2001 Argon Ion Laser Systems Manual but here is the basic remote panel, equivalent to the one for the 2114, below.

• Laser output power control: Pin 5 is source+, pin 1 is source- (source ranges from 0 to 10 VDC). The sensitivity is 0.1 V/mW. Current control and local control shunts must be removed for power control to be active.
  • Laser current control: Pin 6 is source+, pin 1 source- (source ranges from 0 to 10 VDC). The sensitivity is 0.5 V/A.
  • Laser output power monitor: Pin 29 to pin 30, 0.1 V/mW.
  • Laser current monitor: Pin 26 to pin 27, 0.1 V/A.
  • Local control shunt: Pin 13 to pin 12 (enables pot on front panel for light mode).
  • Current control shunt: Pin 15 to pin 14.
  • Laser standby, discharge on: Pin 34 to pin 35 (allows laser to only run at idle current, about 4 A).
  • Interlock: Pin 36 to pin 37.
  • Laser shutdown: Pin 33 to pin 35 (disables discharge, cathode remains on).
  • External power supplies: Pin 25 is +15 VDC, pin 24 is -15 VDC, pin 23 is return.
  • Power ground: Pin 4.
Notes on the CU-2201 Power Supply

The power supply for the CU-2201 is the model 2101. As usual, there are various versions. (Portions from: Werner Bleckwendt.)
These power supplies do not have personality boards. The LEDs inside the unit have the following meanings:

• LED1: Bank voltage OK.
  • LED2: AC GO on.
  • LED3: "A" side Vcc up (+15 VDC).
  • LED4: Primary interlock up.
  • LED5: Charge off.
  • LED6: Secondary interlock OK.
  • LED7: Current feedback loop disabled.
  • LED8: "B" side power up (+/- 15 VDC).
  • LED9: Power-up delay timer OK.
Testing the PSU without a head connection won't damage anything but you'll need to close the interlock chain and provide dummy loads for the filament and tube. CAUTION: The dummy load for the filament can be a suitable length of wire that matches the resistance of the hot filament. However, for the tube, using a resistor may result in smoke since it expects the tube voltage drop. Leaving the anode circuit open is probably OK for quick testing of the anode and start voltages as this is similar to attaching a head with tube that won't start.

This 50 mW ML is popping baloons!! I'm reading 35 mW idle and 85 mW MAX !! I'd like to make it adjustable.
I haven't lit matches and popped with this in a long time. GAS is FUN.....

HMike

Last edited:
It is NOT lasing.

Probably, either the mirrors are out of alignment or the gas mixture is bad.

Did the seller give you a "Not DOA" guarantee?

Used gas lasers (especially untested) are a definite gamble.

Peace,
dave

It came with a 30 day DOA guarantee. Looks Like I'll be sending it back.