Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Premium +175mW Green Laser just ordered from Optotronics.com

Hi,
I'm new to this forum, and have just made my first laser purchase.
On Friday, I ordered the Premium 532nm +175mW Green Laser from Optotronics.com.
The order came to US $224.17, which includes USPS Priority Mail (With Insurance).

I'm looking forward to receiving the laser, and will make a video and stills with my smartphone, and review the laser on this forum.
A big hello from NYC to all on this forum!:san:

Last edited:

Hi Welcome ,
Put your global location in where you join date is , and tell us about yourself to get to know you and help you better..And What wave length is your pointer , post some pics of it when you receive it.

Rich:)

GSS

Welcome:)
Very nice laser you ordered.
Beware of the duty cycle and I wouldn't run it more than 45 seconds before a few seconds of cool down..Also these DPSS don't run to well when its cold out and its cold in NYC now!!, so don't be dissapointed till you figure out its likes and dislikes..

Last edited:
Yeah, it's cold as the arctic here in NYC today, and I will factor the low temps in when testing my new laser.

Yeah, it's cold as the arctic here in NYC today, and I will factor the low temps in when testing my new laser.

Wavelength is 532nm.
I will update my bio details.

Welcome to LPF Slowburn. :)

In the future, if you have multiple posts that follow one another, it's best to combine them instead of double posting.

-Alex

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
That's an expensive 175 mW 532nm laser module. Or, is it a completed laser? At any rate I wonder if it has an IR filter, or the optical power includes some infrared. If the crystals get too cold they tend to try to laser at lines other than 532nm. I think one of them is 530nm. I would expect a good TEM00 longitudinal beam for that price at room temperature.

That's an expensive 175 mW 532nm laser module. Or, is it a completed laser? At any rate I wonder if it has an IR filter, or the optical power includes some infrared. If the crystals get too cold they tend to try to laser at lines other than 532nm. I think one of them is 530nm. I would expect a good TEM00 longitudinal beam for that price at room temperature.
Completed laser.
Here are the specs from the Optotronics.com site:

Size 160 mm x 13 mm diameter
IR filter Coatings block >96% of all IR
Laser diode lifetime 5,000 hours MTTF
Beam divergence <1.2 mrad
Beam Diameter (1/e2) <1.5 mm
M2Beam Quality <1.1
Duty cycle @ 21 °C 90/30 sec on/off
Operating temperature 15°C to 30°C
Switch Momentary push button
Power Source 2 AAA cells
Warranty 90 days
Output power is verified with a Coherent FieldMaster GS
power meter and test results are recorded on the instruction sheet.
These lasers typically have 1-4mW of IR; however this is not counted
towards the +175mW total of 532nm.
Average output >175mW
Typical peak output up to 205mW

Last edited:
I'd stock up on AAA batteries. You'll be changing them often. It is a pen style at 6.3 inches long. I'll bet it looks like those eBay pens you can get for ~$2.00 with a black rubber finish.

I'd stock up on AAA batteries. You'll be changing them often. It is a pen style at 6.3 inches long. I'll bet it looks like those eBay pens you can get for ~$2.00 with a black rubber finish.
I have a good supply of rechargeable AAA batteries.
Optotronics has a solid rep, and builds top quality lasers in the USA.
Not sure a comparison with a $2.00 piece of Chinese junk on eBay is fair or apt.
150mw-laser.jpg

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
My first real laser is an Optotronics 100mW 532nm green pen just like yours Slowburn; I've had it since 2012, and it's still going strong. :yh:
Optotronics lasers are expensive, but they seem to be much higher quality than the cheap Chinese pens, they're based here in the US, and Jack is great to deal with, he's also a member here.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if you felt slighted, but it does look amazingly like the cheap Chinese pens. That doesn't mean they are of the same quality, but anyone here can tell you they look identical. If you are using rechargeable AAA size batteries, make sure they aren't the Li-ion ones or you will burn your laser out. They need to be 1.5 VDC, not 3.6 or 4.2 VDC.

My first real laser is an Optronics 100mW 532nm green pen just like yours Slowburn; I've had it since 2012, and it's still going strong. :yh:
Optotronics lasers are expensive, but they seem to be much higher quality than the cheap Chinese pens, they're based here in the US, and Jack is great to deal with, he's also a member here.
A high quality product, plus US based, is very important to me.
It's disheartening witnessing the rarity of US based Laser pointer companies.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
They are a US company (Mead, Co.), but I'd imagine that the pointers are still assembled in China, probably to Optotronics specs though.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if you felt slighted, but it does look amazingly like the cheap Chinese pens. That doesn't mean they are of the same quality, but anyone here can tell you they look identical. If you are using rechargeable AAA size batteries, make sure they aren't the Li-ion ones or you will burn your laser out. They need to be 1.5 VDC, not 3.6 or 4.2 VDC.
Not slighted at all.:yh:
I wanted a pen laser for my first purchase, and yes cosmetically they are similar to each other.
Of course, I didn't buy this specific pen laser for its atheistic value, but for its performance and quality parts.
Thanks for the battery tips.