Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Practical uses and cool science stuff

Orion

Hello all, as I am new to the forum I'll start by saying awesome job I have learned alot about lasers and the companies on this forum. Thanks

I own a 5mw el-cheapo from amazon just for pointing out stars and planets to friends, and for 5 bucks it's pretty darn cool first 532nm I have ever welded. Lol

Now I think these higher powered lasers are great they peak my curiosity and I think it's just awesome that something that powerful is about the size of a flashlight, and I imediately want one. I know anything above say 20mw is going to be dangerous and should be handled with the same respect at which I handle my firearms.

With that being said I wanna know of some practical uses for these higher powered lasers and cool scientific demos that can be done safely ofcourse. I just can't justify purchasing one at those prices just to burn balloons matches and such. To me that would get old fast and I would have 2 or 300 dollar paper weight. Any ideas would be awesome or examples of thing you guys use ur lasers for. Thanks

DrSid

There is not much use for high power hand held laser. For optics phenomenons demonstrations, 5mW is usually enough. High power is useless for such purposes, as it is dangerous to look at.
High power hand held is good for burning, and making visible beam in the air. Some use it to kill reef pests or spiders. But that's stretching it ..
You can also build scanner to generate images on the wall .. you will need strong laser for that.

Last edited:

Orion

That's what I figured the inherent dangers would limit the possible applications. Just thought maybe someone came up with something even for 100mw like art oriented or maybe discoloring wood or sculptures. Use it as a tool.

Also being in law enforcement was curious what alot of the members think of the dazer or dazzler photonic disrupters. Sence they are high powered lasers is it really safe?? Pepper spray is not always effective. Tasers have become increasingly more in the news because of injuries or death. I figure a non focused laser would effect all but the sight impaired which dont commit many crimes anyway and may be less dangerous than tasers. What do u guys think??

I think it would depend on the power. Blast a bunch of bystanders in the eye balls and you will likely have many law suits & paying for a lot of eye exams.

I use my lasers for art and photography, it never gets old ;)

I actually saw a show on dazzlers today, the show was called 'secrets of the CIA' & they demonstrated the effects of dazzling an oncoming car from about 1/4 mile away. The dazzler was nothing more than 4 strobing focused green lasers that fire alongside each other clustered together in something that looks like a large tazer gun. The short term/long term effects from being shot in the eyes with something like this is arguable based upon distance, power & the amount of time the laser(s) are concentrated directly in the eyesight of the subject.

I think the idea of using dazzlers as a method of non lethal self defense under the right circumstances is great - although the consequential eye damage should also be taken into consideration.

:beer:

Orion

All valid points was think get a good laser cuz well I want one and the 5mw one I have is cool. Have fun in a safe manner with the new laser and basically with the help of a few members turn it into a dazzler or dazer. Have it mounted to my pistol or other fire arm. I know there are quite a few companies working on them. But I'm not sure if the right amount of research has been done yet. So the legal ramifications for my self incompasitating a would be intruder might be more sever for me than for him. Sad to say but that's the way our legal system works nowadays. That's a totally different forum though. Lol

Now photography would be interesting. I have a pretty large telescope and was about to invest in a camera for it. Would a 532nm laser be too bright if I used it on the telescope?? I can't look at the moon when it's full the telescope is too large I need a filter. So any applications for telescope or photography and the scope?? Could make for interesting pics

DrSid

Nah .. you could use the pointer as well .. pointing device. To quickly turn the telescope toward what are you looking at. For photography itself it has no use, unless you want to have green line in your picture.