Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Power electronics

Stefanb

Everyone, what is a free source of information on the net that will take a beginner from newbie to 1st year level in theoretical electronics. I wish to take a blue ray laser diode from a blue ray player for a pointer project. What exactly am I looking for?

Hi,
When you take apart the player you will be looking for the sled that holds the diode. But you wont know what diode it is and its capability how to run it. your first attempt most like you will kill the diode, Many things involved ESD, breaking pins finding the correct amp's to run it and you need a Power supply unit DC ,not worth it. Just buy a BDR-209 diode with driver with leads from the DTR laser shop and get a host to put it in. Solder two wires heat shrink the solder joints , slide in the 12mm module in the host.
Rich:)

gazer101

Everyone, what is a free source of information on the net that will take a beginner from newbie to 1st year level in theoretical electronics. I wish to take a blue ray laser diode from a blue ray player for a pointer project. What exactly am I looking for?
You do not need university-level knowledge to assemble a laser. As others mentioned just buy the driver pre-made, buy a host pre-made, buy batteries pre-made, etc. (check old posts for more specifics). You most likely do not have the tooling needed to considerably cut costs of making your laser (no lathe, no 3d printer, no local projector liquidator, etc.), so might as well get the most bang/convenience for your buck and buy the easy route

But if you do want to go down the rabbit hole, here you go (the site is very cool but poorly organized, so here is the direct link to the table of contents: http://repairfaq.cis.upenn.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm):