Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Power cut off Safety Pin?

Do some laser pointers have a 'safety pin' which acts like a 'key' so that when removed or pulled out of its hole/port, the circuit is broken, rendering the laser pointer without power?

1) What type of 'pin' can be used? What is it called when looking at the Mouser catalog?
2) Can the hole or 'port' for the pin be a sealed hole so water cannot get in when the pin is out?

You could use a 2.5mm female audio socket and a shorted 2.5mm jack as your dongle/pin.
You will have to look into waterproof options, I expect a switch behind a silicon seal and your dongle would simply depress the switch when inserted if you want it waterproof, or a magnetic type switch.

Last edited:
It's also known as a TS plug. A TRS plug may also be used with one terminal ignored. Short for tip-sleeve, and tip-ring-sleeve respectively. Short the pins together.

ok, I think the 2.5mm audio TS plug was what I saw on a higher-end Chinese laser somewhere. I just didn't know exactly what type of plug it was using.

Thank you guys!

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Waterproof? How about a reed switch. You could set it up so the laser wouldn't operate unless you were wearing a magnetic ring.

The simple audio plug with a silicone blob backing is more in line with what I had in mind - a simple safety mod for a simple host.
A reed switch, on the other hand, will be on my wish-list for my next-next-next level futuristic 22nd Century host, lol.

AFAIK JETLASERS sells tailcaps w/ options=rubber push buttons or a safety pin or on some a 'code'.
You should have a choice of black or anodized Ally.

good luck!!

hak