Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Power Comparisons/Different Lenses/Red & Blu-ray!

jayrob

Power Comparisons/Different Lenses/Red & Blu-ray, and 445!

I've posted this information elsewhere, but figured it would be good to put it here in the 'Optics' section...

See here for 445nm lens comparisons! :)
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/445nm-a130-lens-comparisons-51456.html

Note: All comparisons to AixiZ acrylic is with the 'back opened'...
Plastic%20cut%20away.jpg

Meter used: Coherent PowerMax 5200 with PM3 thermal head.

Note: I have noticed that the newer AixiZ acrylic lenses already have the back opened...

'New' AixiZ acrylic 'un-opened' vs AixiZ acrylic with 'back opened':

I compared the difference in power for a 'New' AixiZ acrylic (un-opened back), against an AixiZ acrylic lens with the 'back opened'...

Power comparisons with red, as well as blu-ray:

Long open can red at 431mA's: (5% difference)

* 'New' AixiZ acrylic (un-opened) - 240mW's

* AixiZ acrylic (back opened) - 252mW's

PHR at 125mA's: (5% difference)

* 'New' AixiZ acrylic (un-opened) - 101mW's

* AixiZ acrylic (back opened) - 106mW's

5% is a considerable difference! This is why it should be noted whether or not the AixiZ acrylic lens has the back opened or not when making lens/power comparisons.

Comparisons: Including AixiZ glass:
Compared to AixiZ acrylic, I get only 4 to 5% more with AixiZ glass for red. AixiZ glass has 3 elements. This is why it has less gain than the other 'single element' glass lenses, even though it is AR coated for red. Plus, AixiZ glass in not as 'short focus' in design.

Comparisons: (red open can)
* AixiZ acrylic (back opened) vs my 650-G-1 Glass lens modification (fit for AixiZ) - 650-G-1 glass will gain 20%
* AixiZ acrylic (back opened) vs AixiZ glass - AixiZ glass will gain 4 to 5%
* AixiZ acrylic (back opened) vs AR coated acrylic from Virtual Village - AR coated will gain 10%
* AixiZ acrylic (back opened) vs Meredith acrylic - No gain, or very minimal gain
* AixiZ acrylic (back opened) vs Meredith glass - Meredith glass will gain about 20% (note: No longer available)
* AixiZ acrylic (back opened) vs 405-G-1 glass lens - 405-G-1 glass will gain about 15%
* (New broad band glass lens from Meredith - About 3% less than my 650-G-1 glass lens with red)
* AixiZ acrylic (back opened) vs Lasers4U Plastic collimating lens - Lasers4U lens will gain 6% (this lens fits AixiZ nuts) Here's the link: (look for 'Plastic Collimating Lens')
eBay Seller: lasers4u: Business Industrial, Electronics items on eBay.com

Comparisons: (blu-ray)
* AixiZ acrylic (back opened) vs 405-G-1 glass - 405-G-1 will gain 26% to 28%
* AixiZ acrylic (back opened) vs AixiZ 405 glass - AixiZ 405 glass will gain 5% - nice round dot
* Meredith glass vs 405-G-1 glass - 405-G-1 will gain 18%
* AixiZ acrylic (back opened) vs AixiZ glass - 7% less than AixiZ acrylic using AixiZ glass for blu-ray
* (New broad band glass lens from Meredith - About 4% less vs my 405-G-1 glass lens with blu-ray)

There is a new lens in the neighborhood...

I made this thread just so there would not be any confusion with another lens being available. These are my honest findings with the power comparisons. (as everything else I share) I have two of these that I bought. They are the same price. I would gladly sell them at a couple of dollars less to anyone who also wanted to do some comparison testing! :)

It is the exact same optical design as the 405-G-1, but it is just from a different supplier, and has a slightly different AR coating. Same focal length, same side splash, same specs exactly...

Will (lasers4u) is calling it the 405-G-2 only because of the slightly different AR coating.

He was my supplier for the 405-G-1 bare optics, and I can get these new lenses from him as well.

But I went ahead and got my latest supply of the 405-G-1 lenses direct from the manufacture because I wanted to stick with what I have had all along.

However, the new 405-G-2 is basically the same output for blu-ray. (very close)

Same pricing on the 405-G-2 as well...

405-G-2.jpg

New Lens Testing:

I did testing with three different lasers... (two different power blu-ray's, and a red)

GGW 6X @ 188mA's:

* 405-G-1: 234mW's
* 405-G-2: 231mW's

BDR-205 12X @ 350mA's:

* 405-G-1: 480mW's
* 405-G-2: 478mW's

LOC red @ 431mA's

* 405-G-1: 292mW's
* 405-G-2: 279mW's
* 650-G-1: 305mW's

So although it is not as good for red, it is pretty much the same for blu-ray. (within a couple of mW's)

For red, my 650-G-1 is about 5% better than the 405-G-1...
I have glass lens modifications available:

405-G-1 glass lens mod:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-405-g-1-glass-lens-mod-28-increase-vs-aixiz-22497.html

650-G-1 glass lens mod: (fit for AixiZ)
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...modification-fit-aixiz-25-increase-46332.html

P.S. Meredith is no longer selling their 'optimized for red' glass lens. Their new 405 coated lens is a broad band coating that is decent for both red and blu-ray. But not as good as the 405-G-1 glass lens for blu-ray.

And not as good as my 650-G-1 glass lens mod, which is the same power increase and beam profile as Meredith's 'optimized for red' glass lens was.

* 650-G-1 glass lens mod fit for AixiZ: (best for red) 20% increase in power for red vs AixiZ acrylic. (back opened)
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...modification-fit-aixiz-25-increase-46332.html

* 405-G-1 glass lens mod: (best for blu-ray) At least 26% increase in power for blu-ray vs AixiZ acrylic. (back opened)
http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=22497

Here are some beam shot comparisons with 6X vs 8X. Both using my 405-G-1 glass lens modification...

(Beam shot comparisons with smoke)
BDR%20beam1.jpg

BDR%20beam3.jpg

SCHWEET! :D

Here is a detailed picture of my 405-G-1 glass lens modification and assembly...

NO GLUE in my lens assembly! You won't have to worry about if it is glued in straight, or if the glue will begin to dry out or chip with heat. My lens assembly will last a lifetime. And you just may want to take it apart and clean the lens once a year! ;)

Glass%20405nm7.jpg

I am mounting the 'flat' side of the lens on the drilled out 'lip' on my assembly.
The crown side of my lens sits inside my custom spacer/retainer that is only touching the outer mounting lip of the lens that is made for mounting the lens.

Glass%20405nm21.jpg

Jay

Last edited:

Re: Power Comparisons/Different Lenses/Red & Blu-r

This....needs a sticky, awesome data here.

jayrob

Thanks!

Good idea to sticky, I'll message Avery...
Jay

Eku

Gratz on the sticky! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Re: Power Comparisons/Different Lenses/Red & Blu-ray!

7616-full-focus.jpg
This is my laser at full focus, obviously doing something wrong! please help. I bought the G2 lens drom DTR and this is what im working with. Im using the M140 diode and 1.8amp buckdriver with G2 combo deal from DTR. Focused out is even worse.

Last edited:

And this is focused out which is just ridiculously worse
7614-focused-out.jpg

jayrob

It looks like it may not be getting the lens close enough to the diode...

So one thing to try and diagnose, is what is the reason??

Is the diode pressed in all the way? Or at least flush?

Is the lens threading all the way into the module? Or is the back of the focus ring stopping on the front of the module before it gets focus?

Ben,

I see a predominant rectangle shape in the middle of the projection on the wall. Bear in mind, this is the shape of the output of most laser diodes, unless the long ends of the rectangle are cut off (with a loss of power) by crummy optics.

Your rectangle looks huge. Like several feet wide (from top to bottom) and I am presuming from not 100's of feet away, but maybe 10 feet away? I think Jayrob is right, and the beam isn't being focused down enough into a dot. Understand, once it is a dot, it will still be a tiny rectangular-shaped dot.

The lens needs to move closer to the diode. If this WAS working properly at one time, something is amiss with the optics. It's possible a prior dis-assembly caused this problem. You may need to disassemble the focus ring and optics another time to identify and correct the issue.

If you cannot figure it out, post some pics of the optics disassembled. I understand the optics are sometimes not symmetrical, in that there is a front and a back to them. You may try flipping the optic(s) one at a time and test until you find the correct arrangement.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I am not sure if you have seen my posts. I am after a laser that can work in cold conditions with a beam diameter at aperture that is expanded to around 6-8mm. The divergence must also be good and if this could be controlled that would be great. Are you able to build something for me and would this be prohibitively expensive? Currently I am looking for a 520/532nm around the 100-200mW range. Thanks, mark